Life beyond frozen veggies...

Options
schol74
schol74 Posts: 12 Member
Help! I need some new veggie ideas. Anybody have a favorite lunchtime or dinner time veggie recipe?

Replies

• twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    What about roasting your favorite veggies? They taste fantastic when roasted!

Just cut them up into uniform pieces and spritz with a little olive oil (or cooking spray if you really want to watch your calories and fat). Sprinkle with whatever seasonings you like (salt, garlic powder, paprika, whatever you like). And then roast!

I usually roast asparagus, broccoli, sweet potato, tomatoes, cauliflower (and my new favorite is eggplant). It's a nice switch from just plain old steamed veggies!

Oh, I also make a creamy tomato/cucumber yogurt salad which is really good. It's a Jillian Michael's recipe. Let me know if you want it and I can message it to you! It makes a great side for any dish.
  • kelzpop
    kelzpop Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    One of our favorites is green beans with dill, the dill adds a nice taste.

Martha stewart has a roasted cabbage recipe that I'm going to try, probably tomorrow for lunch.
    http://www.marthastewart.com/315062/roasted-cabbage-wedges

We also love zucchini roasted with a little parmesan cheese on top.
  • normanmac
    normanmac Posts: 34
    Options
    It's grilling season...I love veggie kabobs....I also have one of those grill top vented pans and stir fry veggies on the grill yum!

Grilled zucchini and sweet potatoes are great! I cut them up like French fries, lightly spray them with olive oil add seasonings and grill.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    If you go out to skinnytaste.com she has a bunch of good recipes. The Spaghetti Squash Lasagna is so good. I am making again tomorrow and I just had it last week. I didn't even know I liked spaghetti squash, turns out I do. :0)
  • physicsteacherjen
    Options
    A really fantastic veggie recipe book is "Fast, Fresh, and Green". Don't know the author, but you could look on Amazon. I borrowed it from the library. There is a wonderful carrot w/cilantro recipe in there, and some yummy slaw recipes too.
  • schol74
    schol74 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! Definitely have to try some of those, they sound good.
  • Andrewcpimpin
    Andrewcpimpin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Curried cauliflower.

And let me add before roasting grilling or sauteeing any green vegetable blanched it in boiling salted water. The results speak for themself