HELP! How to handle this...

Options
Okay so I've done this consistently for about a month and down 11 pounds. Woo Hoo! But here comes the real test.... :frown: I'm counseling at a camp for a week (next week) which is what totally derailed my weight loss 3 years ago. (I had met my goal and decided I would eat whatever I wanted that week and gained and gained from there, not really getting back on track until last month.)

Here's the deal: It's cafeteria style food and some of it is HORRIBLE (like fried chicken tenders with onion rings, fries, and cookies) but some is decent (they'll do a salad bar sometimes and have carrot sticks as a side or some green beans or corn with a few meals). There's a staff fridge I can use for some of my own stuff. I'm planning on bringing some cereal and soymilk (I don't like regular milk), yogurt, apples... etc. I figure I can eat those on sausage biscuits and gravy mornings... I won't be able to track anything all week because I won't have internet access. Any advice for me? What else would be good to bring with me?

Replies

• oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    i'm NO expert, but:

i would track w/ a pencil and paper.
    drink too much water:drinker: :drinker:
    pack 10lbs of carrots.:tongue::tongue: really. i bring carrots w/ me a lot!
  • KimberlyKurtz
    Options
    Take a note pad and write down everything you eat that way you are still keeping track of what is going into your mouth. Get a protien shake and use that as meal replacements on the days when it's bad food. If you have extra time try and get in some excercise. You can do it!!
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    What I would do is make a plan on your computer for next week on what to eat each day. Do you know what the meals at the cafeteria will be ahead of time?
    If so, log them and then log your own food so you know exactly what to eat each day. Don't go over your plan. Print it out and keep it with you to take a long. I think you should be good to go that way.
    It's only for a week, which isn't bad. At least this way you'll know what you're eating and how many cals you're eating each day since you have it planned ahead of time.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Hmm... yeah I will definitely be getting exercise. Walking up and down the hill for everything; swimming, playing basketball and volleyball all afternoon; kickball, softball... I'll be very active. I can just counteract my activity with food unfortunately... :grumble: But yeah, I know what the meals will be just from memory from doing this for the past 17 years (went as a camper since I was 9 and a counselor when I got old enough), but I don't know which meals will be which days because that's kind of the cook's discretion. I'll try to look up calorie info on everything so I can make better decisions. Can anybody think of good bring-along food for me? (already thinking carrots, yogurt, apples, cereal and soymilk)

Ps. THANK YOU GUYS!!! :bigsmile:
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Take a note pad and write down everything you eat that way you are still keeping track of what is going into your mouth. Get a protien shake and use that as meal replacements on the days when it's bad food. If you have extra time try and get in some excercise. You can do it!!

That's not a bad idea. I never buy protein shakes normally. Is there a kind you'd recommend? I'm all about whole foods and all-natural stuff... is that an option for protein shakes?
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend protein shakes as well--even the powered kind that you can mix when you get there. Maybe also consider some granola-bar type foods: protein bars, fiber bars, stuff like that. They're easily packable and can make a good snack or even meal replacement.
  • jdhall
    jdhall Posts: 76
    Options
    Try some peanut butter and multi grain crackers. You could also bake or broil some chicken breast and take those to have for protein. I think you will be just fine with all the exercise and activities. Have a great time and do not worry about your intake so much. It does pay to do some tracking to keep yourself in check, so take a notepad and pencil and write everything down. Good luck! You can do it! :bigsmile:
  • jdhall
    jdhall Posts: 76
    Options
    You could also bring some fruit for when they serve treats! :happy:
  • KimberlyKurtz
    Options

That's not a bad idea. I never buy protein shakes normally. Is there a kind you'd recommend? I'm all about whole foods and all-natural stuff... is that an option for protein shakes?

I use herbalife protein products- they have so many great flavors- you have to get them from a vendor who sells it. Also GNC has a few good ones. Just make sure the sugar not too high in them. I found slim fast isn't that great the sugar in there nuts!
  • shellygirl
    shellygirl Posts: 36
    Options
    When I went to camp with the kids, I took along some tuna lunch kits (easy to travel with as I had no fridge to store food while I was there), granola bars, and also some chicken salad kits. They served biscuits with gravy every day for breakfast! The little single serving size of canned fruit (pears, peaches, fruit cocktail) was also good. Hope this helps!

Have fun at camp! :happy:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    nuts, crackers, granola bars, all the easy to grab, easy to stash types of foods you like.

and do indulge a bit, especially if your activity levels are way up! That way you won't feel like the "one who is on a diet" while everyone else is having something you would want to enjoy too.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    remember to HAVE FUN!!!
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Luna bars. So yummy too.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    In addition to what has already been thrown out there.....Really think PORTION SIZE!!! When you do eat in the cafeteria....Of course make wise decisions if possible, but really keep those portions small (on the not so wonderful for you foods) Then you can really fill up on some good calories with your stash in your fridge :happy:

Good luck!!! Write down a little motto or affirmation...or make you a little encouragement poster that you can look at everyday to keep you encouraged and on track while you are gone (pics of cute SMALLER SIZED clothes, ...whatever motivates you)

Be sure to let us know how it went when you get back :happy: