FitBit

Options
Hi all,

I just got my new fitbit on Friday and so far I love it. However, I'm having a little bit of a hard time. I just finished my work day (I'm a teacher) and it says I burned 537 calories already and I haven't even exercised. I was always under in my calories before I started using the FitBit and it counting my calories from work. How am I going to eat back all of those calories from the day as well as exercise calories? If I don't exercise, I feel like crap! Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Replies

• BiggTim
    BiggTim Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've had my fitbit for about 3 weeks now and also love it. I don't think that you need to eat back all the calories from walking around at work but its just giving you credit for those steps. I'm interested to see what other people have to say about this because I was thinking the same thing at first.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    I've had my fitbit for about 3 weeks now and also love it. I don't think that you need to eat back all the calories from walking around at work but its just giving you credit for those steps. I'm interested to see what other people have to say about this because I was thinking the same thing at first.

bump ..I also am new to my fitbit...I think I will love it.
  • oharabears
    Options
    The Fitbit calculates the calories you burn just being upright, breathing, digesting...so whatever it shows you before exercise (or even when you first get out of bed in the morning) is part of your BMR. It will add in any movement you did during your day when it synchs up. Depending on how you have your MFP settings for activity, it may add activity calories in for you. (In other words, if you've got your MFP set to sedentary, but the Fitbit thinks you're more active than that, it'll give you more calories). When you log exercise, do it on MFP, not the Fitbit site. It'll ask you what time you started your activity and calculate calories burned from there. Hope that answers your question instead of confusing you further! : ) It takes a little while to figure out how everything works together, but you'll get it!
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I walk at least 14,000 steps at work a day, and I have my MFP activity level set at fairly active. I do eat back some of my calories but not all. My walking at work us usually at a brisk pace so I count the calorie burn.
  • BiggTim
    Options
    The Fitbit calculates the calories you burn just being upright, breathing, digesting...so whatever it shows you before exercise (or even when you first get out of bed in the morning) is part of your BMR. It will add in any movement you did during your day when it synchs up. Depending on how you have your MFP settings for activity, it may add activity calories in for you. (In other words, if you've got your MFP set to sedentary, but the Fitbit thinks you're more active than that, it'll give you more calories). When you log exercise, do it on MFP, not the Fitbit site. It'll ask you what time you started your activity and calculate calories burned from there. Hope that answers your question instead of confusing you further! : ) It takes a little while to figure out how everything works together, but you'll get it!

That clears up a lot thanks!!!
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    quote]
    [/quote]

I always log my activity on FitBit and not MFP. Otherwise, I find it doubles up on some of my calories. What are your reasons for doing it the other way?
  • BiggTim
    Options
    I always log my activity on FitBit and not MFP. Otherwise, I find it doubles up on some of my calories. What are your reasons for doing it the other way?

It actually says when you are activating the device on myfitnesspal that you should not log anythiing on FitBit at all because then it will do just what you said. Double your calories and exercises.
  • lottap
    lottap Posts: 6
    Options
    I just ordered my fitbit 2 days ago and I can't wait to get it. I'm glad I read your post so hopefully I will be able to understand it and get the most of it. I will share when I receive it.
  • fypspirit
    fypspirit Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I also have a fitbit and I love it. But the difference between MFP and Fitbit website are confusing. For example: Yesterday the Fitbit website said I burned 2012 calories for the day. I did go running also which totaled 507 calories burned. But when it syncs up with MFP it only gives me a little over 300 calories for the day. So confusing to me yes. I just try to stay between 1230 and 1350 calories a day no matter what each site says I have. If I am really hungry then I can use some of my exercise calories back but I try not to.
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I got my fitbit about a month ago and LOVE it! Sometimes I get concerned that fitbit double counts a burn (ie. when I am on the treadmill) but I find that if I am exact on the time I started (from the fitbit timer) when I log it into MFP there is not a problem.
    Feel free anyone to add me as I log everything and am a daily user :-) Good luck everyone!
  • AFettes21
    AFettes21 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    But it added on all 537 calories. So now I'm still confused because that is a lot of calories it's already addin on. Then if I add on my exercises for the day in addition to my walking at work, it will be probably 1000 calories burned for the day. Do I delete those walking calories and only leave on my exercise ones? I almost feel like I shouldn't exercise any more seeing as how it will be so high. Right now my setting are lightly active. When I changed it to active, it didn't take any exercise calories burned away.
  • oharabears
    Options

It actually says when you are activating the device on myfitnesspal that you should not log anythiing on FitBit at all because then it will do just what you said. Double your calories and exercises.

Yep, That's why! : ) And also because I have "Firstborn Daughter Syndrome" and have a tendency to do what I'm told without questioning it! LOL!!!
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    But it added on all 537 calories. So now I'm still confused because that is a lot of calories it's already addin on. Then if I add on my exercises for the day in addition to my walking at work, it will be probably 1000 calories burned for the day. Do I delete those walking calories and only leave on my exercise ones? I almost feel like I shouldn't exercise any more seeing as how it will be so high. Right now my setting are lightly active. When I changed it to active, it didn't take any exercise calories burned away.

No, the point of a Fitbit is to see how many calories you actually are burning over the course of a day doing things like walking, breathing, climbing stairs, etc. When you set up your Fitbit it asks you your age, sex, height, weight, weight loss goals, etc. Using that information the Fitbit calculates how many calories you should eat daily. For example if you set it to lose 1 lb per week, it is going to try and keep you at a 500 calorie per day deficit. This would be ALL calories expended including just walking around and also exercise calories. So obviously the more you exercise, the higher this deficit will be. If you choose to "eat back your calories" the only ones you would eat back are exercise only. Make sense?

I keep it simple. I try to eat 1600 per day - regardless of what I burn. It's high enough to give me a deficit, but not so super low that I will mess with my metabolism.
  • Angel_Eyes1975
    Angel_Eyes1975 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I just got my fit bit the other day for my bday and today was my 1st day using it. I am excited to see what happens i wish it had came with a book...
  • AFettes21
    AFettes21 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I agree!