Smoothies...

Options
Hi there
I am looking for receipes for smoothies for adults as well as children. My 4 year old asks for candy, sweets or vanilla ice cream every night before she goes to bed, we always try and give her fruit or a healthy snack but we were talking about and could make a healthy smoothie and tell her it is ice cream.

Any ideas on what we could do for a healthy, before bed, kid friendly smoothie, that I could possibly make for breakfast for myself as well?

thanks

Replies

• tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, banana , chocolate is my favorite go to. Crushed ice, chocolate protien powder, a banana and PB to taste and skim milk or almond milk. You can also use vanilla protien powder and use choco milk or choco almond milk. It is also easy to use Vanilla Protien powder and frozen fruit and milk. the possible combos are endless.
  • flobee76
    flobee76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    We give our kids smoothies EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. (we had to upgrade to a Vitamix, wore out the other blenders). Since we don't have any dairy allergies this is what we put in theirs:

base:
    raw milk
    yogurt or kefir
    banana (if you throw in frozen banana chunks, it's like a banana milkshake)

then we add one or more of the following:
    frozen mango chunks
    frozen pineapple
    frozen blueberries

**We don't add any sweeteners to the smoothies because the fruit is already yummy-sweet!

For my own smoothies, I don't add any protein powders or peanut butter. Greek yogurt has a lot of protein (plus I don't like the idea of powders, I try to stick with whole foods).
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I am looking for receipes for smoothies for adults as well as children. My 4 year old asks for candy, sweets or vanilla ice cream every night before she goes to bed, we always try and give her fruit or a healthy snack but we were talking about and could make a healthy smoothie and tell her it is ice cream.

Any ideas on what we could do for a healthy, before bed, kid friendly smoothie, that I could possibly make for breakfast for myself as well?

thanks

Say no.

Now for smoothies for adults.

Almond milk, vanilla whey protein powder, frozen or fresh dark berries (strawberries, blueberries, dark cherries etc), raw cacao powder, flax seed etc/. If you look at my diary on some mornings I make a pretty caloric/nutrient dense smoothie to get me going through most of the day till I can grab lunch. I change up what I put but the base is usually the same.
  • flobee76
    flobee76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Say no.

i just had to giggle.
  • lolabugs
    lolabugs Posts: 141
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/02/skinny-green-tropical-smoothie.html#more

I found this recipe recently and have completely fallen in love! I've been making it for breakfast everyday for the past week. There are other smoothies and shakes on this site that I want to try, but I have to get through the ingredients for this one first. The think I probably love the most about the Skinny Green Tropical smoothie is that it has a handful of spinach in it. It's like a green pina colada. I can't taste the spinach at all because of the pineapple, banana and coconut flavors, but I'm reaping the benefits of iron and vitamins, etc. I'm almost out of spinach and will be trying it with Kale later in the week. I'll update this to let you know if it tastes as good with kale. I'm hoping it will.

On another note: I think it's really good that you're trying to make health-conscious choices for your child, but I agree with the person who posted "say no". I got into the habit, early on, of expecting a sweet treat after dinner or being rewarded with food and I'm realizing that the many food issues I have are reasons why I'm overweight. I truly don't want to overstep my bounds, but I would caution you that kids want sweets, but they don't NEED sweets (actually, that goes for adults as well). Just a little food for thought. :wink:
  • sid719e
    sid719e Posts: 47
    Options
    Best smoothie ever:

1 avocado
    1 banana
    1 cup fat free milk
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 tsp ground flaxseed
    loads of ice

blend all....
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    bump...
    thanks for sharing!
  • lolabugs
    lolabugs Posts: 141
    Options
    The kale works out wonderfully for the Skinny Green Tropical smoothie.
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    Frozen bananas and any kind of dairy you prefer.
    The frozen banana helps make the smoothie that ice cream consistency.
    You can add vanilla to make it more like vanilla ice cream. I found that adding vanilla and some orange extract made it more like a creamsicle. I'm not sure if it is that great to have something sweet before bed, even if it is a healthier treat. After dinner, sure, but right before bed a small glass of milk should do just fine.