Burn Fat Faster! I tried it, it works!

Options
this was taken from Parade Magazine. For more, follow this link: http://www.parade.com/health/2009/06/burn-fat-faster.html

Research shows that adding intervals to traditional aerobic workouts can improve cardiovascular fitness in less time. Intervals help by using up glycogen in your muscles and then burning more fat after your workout.

Interval training involves adding bursts of more intense exercise to your regular routine. If you normally walk, for example, try speeding up for 20 seconds every minute. Then, as you get in better shape, jog 20 seconds out of every minute. Over time, work up to running for that 20-second interval. If you’re already a runner, revamp your routine by alternating between sprinting and jogging. Gradually increase the duration and intensity of your sprint intervals while decreasing the periods of rest between them.

“The more intense the interval bursts, the more improvement you’ll see and the more calories you’ll burn—and continue to burn—for up to 24 hours,” says William J. Kraemer, a professor in the kinesiology department at the University of Connecticut’s Human Performance Laboratory. “As a bonus, intervals train muscle fibers that are not used during aerobic exercise, so you’ll get more of your muscles in shape.”

Replies

• dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have just started to do this. It feels great during and after! I love it. I am losing the pounds faster for sure.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    I definitely need to give this a try....I am really starting to get frustrated that I'm not losing pounds like I think I should be!!!!!
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    YES
    this is what I've been doing lately...and it's changing my whole body. AND I've always always exercised before...my whole life!
    You can cut down on our out ...useless neverending cardio. LESS really IS MORE. it takes some getting used to.
    Try the 30 day shred...GREAT intervals...or the other biggest loser workouts are GREAT too. Try your own intervals...run up and down your stairs....lift a few weights, do some abs...jumping jacks...etc.
    I do about 20-35 minutes each day, 5 days a week. it's been an amazing experience for me...

Cindy
  • devines
    devines Posts: 5
    Options
    I have read this before in magazines, just add about a minute of a boost to your workout really does burn the fat. I'm right there with you...I'm frustrated that I seem to be stuck in this down a lb. or two one day and up the next. It's crazy. Hang in there!!!
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    This is how I have always trained and it works for sure. I think it's easier too than going all out for the whole time.
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    It does work! I love doing interval training at least once/week. Running outside you can incorporate what the term 'Fartleks' (Speed play, or "fartlek" in Swedish (the concept originated in Sweden), is a free-flowing format in which you run faster for however long (or short) you want to. )

Pick a telephone pole, mailbox, stop sign, or anything up ahead and run to it. You can choose one item (all telephone poles, for example) or multiple landmarks to create varying lengths of speed segments. On each segment, gradually pick up the pace until you're running fast but not all out. For the last 20 steps, hold the pace, but focus on relaxing your body and allowing momentum to take over. Walk or jog for half the distance of your repeat, then spot your next landmark and take off again.
  • Zephyr36608
    Options
    this was taken from Parade Magazine. For more, follow this link: http://www.parade.com/health/2009/06/burn-fat-faster.html

Research shows that adding intervals to traditional aerobic workouts can improve cardiovascular fitness in less time. Intervals help by using up glycogen in your muscles and then burning more fat after your workout.

Interval training involves adding bursts of more intense exercise to your regular routine. If you normally walk, for example, try speeding up for 20 seconds every minute. Then, as you get in better shape, jog 20 seconds out of every minute. Over time, work up to running for that 20-second interval. If you’re already a runner, revamp your routine by alternating between sprinting and jogging. Gradually increase the duration and intensity of your sprint intervals while decreasing the periods of rest between them.

“The more intense the interval bursts, the more improvement you’ll see and the more calories you’ll burn—and continue to burn—for up to 24 hours,” says William J. Kraemer, a professor in the kinesiology department at the University of Connecticut’s Human Performance Laboratory. “As a bonus, intervals train muscle fibers that are not used during aerobic exercise, so you’ll get more of your muscles in shape.”
    Thanks for posting this tidbit and the info! I'm new to the site and just getting started with my program, so I'll be sure to toss this in--it certainly can't hurt! LOL
    Thx!
  • glandis
    glandis Posts: 89
    Options
    My fitness instructors at the gym also do this during our workouts. Adding burts of cardio really is a great way to burn more calories. Good Luck ! :smile:
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I love HIIT!
  • GetFitBy2010
    Options
    Usually I do that when I do cardio at the gym. If I can cut 1/2 of time of work out and still get the same benefit... eh why not. And on the day that I really really lazy I apply tabata method just for 4 minutes :smokin:
  • leann_m_olson
    Options
    Usually I do that when I do cardio at the gym. If I can cut 1/2 of time of work out and still get the same benefit... eh why not. And on the day that I really really lazy I apply tabata method just for 4 minutes :smokin:

ok, i give, what is 'tabata method'?
  • Vogue
    Vogue Posts: 15
    Options

Thanks for posting this tidbit and the info! I'm new to the site and just getting started with my program, so I'll be sure to toss this in--it certainly can't hurt! LOL
    Thx!

Thank you so much!! It does work, but it just takes a bit of re-training your mind how to think about excercise. :flowerforyou: I really hope this article helps people out!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I've been preaching this for over a year.

There are specific reasons why interval training is better then straight cardio, and HIIT is even better then regular interval training (HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training), and yes, even people who think they are too out of shape to work out vigorously can do HIIT training.

I can explain it if people want to know, it gets into body chemistry though, and hormones, so I won't elaborate unless people want to really know.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    case in point, I posted this, notice the original date. Granted this is a little more hardcore then you guys might like, but it's the same concept, just taken a bit further.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9051-want-weight-loss-push-your-body-to-the-limits
  • leann_m_olson
    Options

ok, i googled it:

http://www.hotbodytraining.com/extreme-fat-loss-the-tabata-method/
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

ok, i googled it:

Tabata protocol is AWESOME. It's brutal, but man does it work. I do it once a week on the bike. 19 minutes of PURE HELL. But you burn like 350 to 400 calories and you're anaerobic for about 10 minutes out of the 19, which means really good muscle build and fat burn.
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options
    For you DVD lovers out there, Billy Blanks' Bootcamp also includes intervals. He calls it 'maximum power time' as opposed to his usual 'flight time' and then he brings you back to a more 'sustainable' level. Oh and I should add I have a love/hate relationship with this series of dvds. Poor Billy, sure takes a verbal beating well... :tongue:
  • leann_m_olson
    Options

ok, i googled it:

I'm going to try it tomorrow at the end of my bike ride. That is if it's not raining tomorrow morning.

Tabata protocol is AWESOME. It's brutal, but man does it work. I do it once a week on the bike. 19 minutes of PURE HELL. But you burn like 350 to 400 calories and you're anaerobic for about 10 minutes out of the 19, which means really good muscle build and fat burn.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I tried this for the first time today.

I usually have this route that I walk approx 2 miles. After coming back from Italy I decided to vamp it up, so I would do 2 laps of this route in 1hr 10 mins. I sped up and was able to walk at a good pace for over an hour. for approx 900 calories burned.

Since I'm not a jogger, and when I did try 2 months ago my knee/ankle/shin. (one of those hurt, so I said to myself I wasn't ready to jog yet)

After reading this, I thought today I will incorporate intervals. I picked a lampost, a driveway, some landmark and did a jog. I found that sometimes I was able to jog past that mark, and then I did some walking. Got the heart rate up there found according to my HRM I was at max 189. Went between 181-183 often. Now I know my next step to losing more weight.

I'm proud of myself as I did the 2 laps (approx 4 miles in 52 mins). Drenched, it felt good. and burned 960 calories, once my heart rate came down after finishing.

Question though. I know I burned more calories in 52 mins than I did in 70 mins.
    According to HRM.
    70mins walking - 900 calories burned 45% fat (405 calories from fat)
    52mins jog/walk- 960 calories burned 20% fat (192 calories from fat)
    Where are the other calories being burned from?

I looked through some messages, and most reponses were don't worry about the zones, vamp it up and burn more calories.
    So don't pay attention to 45% fat, 20%fat burned?

Thanks
    Peter
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I tried this for the first time today.

I usually have this route that I walk approx 2 miles. After coming back from Italy I decided to vamp it up, so I would do 2 laps of this route in 1hr 10 mins. I sped up and was able to walk at a good pace for over an hour. for approx 900 calories burned.

Since I'm not a jogger, and when I did try 2 months ago my knee/ankle/shin. (one of those hurt, so I said to myself I wasn't ready to jog yet)

After reading this, I thought today I will incorporate intervals. I picked a lampost, a driveway, some landmark and did a jog. I found that sometimes I was able to jog past that mark, and then I did some walking. Got the heart rate up there found according to my HRM I was at max 189. Went between 181-183 often. Now I know my next step to losing more weight.

I'm proud of myself as I did the 2 laps (approx 4 miles in 52 mins). Drenched, it felt good. and burned 960 calories, once my heart rate came down after finishing.

Question though. I know I burned more calories in 52 mins than I did in 70 mins.
    According to HRM.
    70mins walking - 900 calories burned 45% fat (405 calories from fat)
    52mins jog/walk- 960 calories burned 20% fat (192 calories from fat)
    Where are the other calories being burned from?

I looked through some messages, and most reponses were don't worry about the zones, vamp it up and burn more calories.
    So don't pay attention to 45% fat, 20%fat burned?

Thanks
    Peter

Most of the rest come from your food, some comes from glycogen stored in your muscles and liver, and some of it comes from muscle and bone proteins (probably not much considering where you are)