Everyone says lift heavy but...

Options
What does that actually mean? if I'm lifting heavy enough that I'm squeaking out the last two of 8 reps and I'm drenched in sweat at the end of my session, am I "lifting heavy"? regardless of what the weight is? Can I also rely on the calorie burn in Mfp if that's the case? My heart rate gets up quite a bit. thanks! :heart:

Replies

• Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know this too. I mainly train using strength protocols for spower and oly lifting. So I lift heavy, i.e. low reps heavy weights. Yet people talk about 'lifting heavy' when they employ a high rep hypertrophy style protocol. So does 'lifting heavy' just mean anything that's not bodypump or pink handweights??
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know this too. I mainly train using strength protocols for spower and oly lifting. So I lift heavy, i.e. low reps heavy weights. Yet people talk about 'lifting heavy' when they employ a high rep hypertrophy style protocol. So does 'lifting heavy' just mean anything that's not bodypump or pink handweights??

Yep, and with a couple of things I did today, I lowered my reps to 6 so I could feel more of a challenge.....
  • KGFitnessGuru
    Options
    lifting heavy is what you can handle. If you are pushing the weights really easy then you need to step your weights up. Your last 2 to 3 reps should be where you have to push yourself a little that's where you start gaining muscle.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I think "lifting heavy" can also mean higher intensity. For example, you can also lift a lighter weight that you can do up to 20 reps but do the lowering motion of the exercise much slower and you'll burn yourself out faster.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Just try to keep it around 10 reps and the last couple should be pretty difficult for you, but you should be able to stay in good form.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Enough so that it's about the most you can do. Next time? A little heavier.
    Also, generally we mean compound multi-join lifts.
    squats, deads, etc

Mark Rippetoe (A well vetted lifting trainer) suggests 3x5s
    Stronglifts (A guy in the internet with a great website) suggests 5x5s

There's other programs of course.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

HA. good question and i think with some segment of women that's correct. lifting heavy means using the 12 pound dumbbell but then 2 months later they are still using the same 12 pound dumbbell.

i personally define lifting heavy as when i'm lifting from 75-99% of my 1 rep max weight and will progressively add more weight. i also check my 1 max weight for things like squats, deadlifts and bench press every 3 months. if i'm not repping at or above what used to be my 1 rep max by the end of those 3 months, then i know i'm not doing something correctly.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    use a heart rate monitor. i was in shock when i wore it for the first time doing circuit training. my heart rate got just as high as it does when i run. As far as lifting heavy- I've been told lift whatever weight lets you go about 7 reps.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    DOes it really matter? If you are lifting what you consider heavy and your heart rate is up..... that sounds like what it's all about to me. Get stronger, burn some calories.
  • BigL0s
    BigL0s Posts: 133
    Options
    Heavy enough that you reach failure within your desired rep range, not under or lower, whatever it may be. That's how I see it.
  • aliciam318
    Options
    use a heart rate monitor. i was in shock when i wore it for the first time doing circuit training. my heart rate got just as high as it does when i run. As far as lifting heavy- I've been told lift whatever weight lets you go about 7 reps.

I wear a heart rate monitor mainly for my cardio. Anything I need to be looking for while weight training in heart rate ranges?
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    Options
    Heavy enough that you reach failure within your desired rep range, not under or lower, whatever it may be. That's how I see it.

Is failure when you absolutely cannot do another rep? Thanks I'm so freakin clueless with this terminology lol
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    It also depends on what you are trying to accomplish with your body if you are trying to build strength or increase muscle mass.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    Options
    DOes it really matter? If you are lifting what you consider heavy and your heart rate is up..... that sounds like what it's all about to me. Get stronger, burn some calories.

It matters to me because I want to make sure I'm doing it right :) I mean, I think I am, but if the more experienced people than me here say "lower your reps to 6 max, with whatever weight you can handle", then that's what I'm probably going to try. I'm just sticking with the standard 3 sets of 8 reps, last two being very challenging routine right now because that's all I know to do :) and Mfp has me burning 150 cals for 45 minutes of lifting and I don't know if that's right either. I'm 5'2" 147 lbs, 32% (ugh) body fat.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    Options
    It also depends on what you are trying to accomplish with your body if you are trying to build strength or increase muscle mass.

Both! :)
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    If your local library has it, New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good read. It explains why lifting heavy works and offers a program but also addresses eating too.

Like others have said, lifting heavy means it challenges your muscles hard enough that you really have to work to get those last few reps. It doesn't have to go to failure, but sometimes you do. If you're doing 2 sets of 15 reps and can only do 13, that means you are challenging your muscles. The next time you do that routine, try a slightly higher weight.

The thing I like about NROL4W (I think Strong lifts does this too) is that it targets whole muscle groups, it doesn't just isolate certain muscles. That means all the muscles needed for motions our bodies are intended for get worked through these exercises. This makes a lot of sense to me.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    Options
    Which brings me to another question..... "desired rep range" ? How do I determine that?

Also I paid for a personal trainer, but she has yet to keep our appointments and I'm not waiting around. I have *kitten* to get done!

I really appreciate everyone's input.
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    Then i would lift 3 to 4 sets of 6 reps for each exercise that is with the exclusion of abs.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    Options
    If your local library has it, New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good read. It explains why lifting heavy works and offers a program but also addresses eating too.

Like others have said, lifting heavy means it challenges your muscles hard enough that you really have to work to get those last few reps. It doesn't have to go to failure, but sometimes you do. If you're doing 2 sets of 15 reps and can only do 13, that means you are challenging your muscles. The next time you do that routine, try a slightly higher weight.

The thing I like about NROL4W (I think Strong lifts does this too) is that it targets whole muscle groups, it doesn't just isolate certain muscles. That means all the muscles needed for motions our bodies are intended for get worked through these exercises. This makes a lot of sense to me.

Thanks, I want to check out that book and probably will when this semester is over and I have time to add yet another book to my studies lol
  • BigL0s
    BigL0s Posts: 133
    Options
    Which brings me to another question..... "desired rep range" ? How do I determine that?

Also I paid for a personal trainer, but she has yet to keep our appointments and I'm not waiting around. I have *kitten* to get done!

I really appreciate everyone's input.

Depending on your goals...8-12 is recommended if you're trying to gain muscle. & yea failure means when you can't do one more rep with good form on your own.