TVP

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Just curious, have any of you tried Textured Vegetable Protein? I just saw an article about it on runner's world, and I'm wondering if its something I may want to look at.

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Hubbs is a vegan so we use TVP all the time. We use it to make our own veggie burgers (MUCH healthier and tastier), sloppy joes, chili, breakfast scramble. It's really easy to use once you get used to it.

Sloppy Joes
    1 cup soaked tvp (soak in in half water-half bbq sauce), toss in some corn, sauteed onions and bbq sauce- toss it in a wrap/bun or what have you- and mow down. It's tasty!

Edit-
    For a 'real meat' taste go buy some Liquid Smoke. It makes the tvp taste more 'meaty'. It's available in mesquite and hickory. Really good stuff.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I use it about 3-4 times a month. I use the Bobs Red Mill brand and I use it in place of meat in things like chili and tacos.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    You can also use it to stretch regular ground meat if you find you can't stomach it straight up. I always had great success with it. I used beef bullion to make it taste like meat.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    You can also use it to stretch regular ground meat if you find you can't stomach it straight up. I always had great success with it. I used beef bullion to make it taste like meat.

msarro is a vegetarian.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    How does it taste on its own? And can you share that veggie burger recipe? Today is payday which means grocery shopping!!! :love:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    How does it taste on its own? And can you share that veggie burger recipe? Today is payday which means grocery shopping!!! :love:

I want the recipe too!
    It is kinda bland...much like plain tofu...I usually add sauces and spices. :happy:
  • gemiwing
    Options
    I'm always down to share a recipe! :flowerforyou:

Happy Hubby Burger

1 cup dry tvp (soak in 1 tsp smoke flavoring, 1tbsp mustard, rest bbq sauce or water- you pick)
    1-2 tbsp flour- you have to add just enough for it to stick together and it's different each time.
    1 cup cooked rice
    1 can black beans
    1 finely chopped onion (optional)
    Garlic, pepper to taste.

Drain tvp (don't press) add in onion and seasonings. Add cooked rice and beans. Mix in flour until sticky (you'll know it when you get it) and patty out to about 1/2 inch thick. There's no oil in the recipe so you'll have to add some to the pan you cook them in. There's no fat so they will stick if you don't use a bit of oil- then you'll end up with crumbles. Bake them at 400 for about 10-20 min (depends on your oven) until the bottom is quite crispy- that will help keep them together. Or you can toss them in a frying pan and sautee them for about five minutes until brown on both sides. Your choice.

We make variations on them too. Sometimes we add a bit of corn, sometimes we add finely chopped mushrooms, I add bits of cheese. You can use the recipe above for making sausage patties too if you skip the bbq sauce, mustard and onion- then add sage and thyme. Great for quick breakfasts if you make them up ahead of time.

A good website is VegWeb , they have some good recipes too.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    I'm always down to share a recipe! :flowerforyou:

Happy Hubby Burger

1 cup dry tvp (soak in 1 tsp smoke flavoring, 1tbsp mustard, rest bbq sauce or water- you pick)
    1-2 tbsp flour- you have to add just enough for it to stick together and it's different each time.
    1 cup cooked rice
    1 can black beans
    1 finely chopped onion (optional)
    Garlic, pepper to taste.

Drain tvp (don't press) add in onion and seasonings. Add cooked rice and beans. Mix in flour until sticky (you'll know it when you get it) and patty out to about 1/2 inch thick. There's no oil in the recipe so you'll have to add some to the pan you cook them in. There's no fat so they will stick if you don't use a bit of oil- then you'll end up with crumbles. Bake them at 400 for about 10-20 min (depends on your oven) until the bottom is quite crispy- that will help keep them together. Or you can toss them in a frying pan and sautee them for about five minutes until brown on both sides. Your choice.

We make variations on them too. Sometimes we add a bit of corn, sometimes we add finely chopped mushrooms, I add bits of cheese. You can use the recipe above for making sausage patties too if you skip the bbq sauce, mustard and onion- then add sage and thyme. Great for quick breakfasts if you make them up ahead of time.

A good website is VegWeb , they have some good recipes too.

Thanks! I've been on that site...I must have missed some stuff.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOD, sorry guys, but as a carnivore, I think it tastes like GLUE!!! UGH. I gave it a shot, I tried it, I cooked with it, I even try to mix it into a meatloaf (just a little, mind you, like 1/4 of a cup into a 2 person meatloaf), inedible in my opinion.

But hey, if you like it, it's really good for you so give it a shot, maybe you will like it. Hey, I also hate peas too, and I know people like them!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    OH MY GOD, sorry guys, but as a carnivore, I think it tastes like GLUE!!! UGH. I gave it a shot, I tried it, I cooked with it, I even try to mix it into a meatloaf (just a little, mind you, like 1/4 of a cup into a 2 person meatloaf), inedible in my opinion.

But hey, if you like it, it's really good for you so give it a shot, maybe you will like it. Hey, I also hate peas too, and I know people like them!

LOL! My hubs said the same thing. I've never eaten meat so I can't compare the two. :bigsmile:
  • gemiwing
    Options
    That's funny, I'm a meat-eater and I love tvp. Espescially the big chunks you put in chili- yummm! Then again I'll snack on plain tofu too :laugh:

If you're a meat eater- or trying to please one- it really does help to add the liquid smoke.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    That's funny, I'm a meat-eater and I love tvp. Espescially the big chunks you put in chili- yummm! Then again I'll snack on plain tofu too :laugh:

If you're a meat eater- or trying to please one- it really does help to add the liquid smoke.

Blech :sick: I just got a little sick to my stomach thinking about it. :ohwell:
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Boss, you just kill me, you really do. :laugh:

Thanks for the laugh- I needed it today!