Kettle Bell Workout----How Count??

I just purchased a low weight kettle bell and a kettle bell workout DVD. I don't see kettle bells listed under exercises here. How should I count? As general strength training? Cardio? Both? I don't have a HRM, btw.

Replies

• 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    I think it depends on what you are doing with the kettlebell.

Swings & snatches are lots of cardio - presses & squats more strength.

I usually enter it as 1/2 strength training and 1/2 light aerobics and hope that I'm guessing low, but I realize that's not really answering your question. There are many people here who have much more accurate methods than that, hopefully someone can answer your question better.

Thanks to a suggestion in the kettlebell group here, I've been reading about Tracy Reifind, and recently got her book "The Swing". I highly recommend it, and think you can read a preview on Amazon.

Good luck with your kettlebell - they are lots of fun!
  • dburdi02
    dburdi02 Posts: 16 Member
    Hmm, here's my thought... Since kettle bells combine body parts and have some cardio type moves maybe this would fit under low level plyo?? To track it on here I would put it in as squats with dumbbells or squats with shoulder press (whatever the move most closely resembles with rack weights) and list the kettle bell's weight just like a dumbbell. The figure 8's you do for abs can be classified as maybe an oblique crunch or something. Maybe the video you bought has a webpage you can reference and somebody on MFP can add these workouts to the database...
    Much luck!
  • juliee274
    juliee274 Posts: 124 Member
    Lucky Fred, I think the DVD covers four areas....arms, legs, core and general.....so I think it incorporates all those moves. I like your idea of counting half cardio, half strength. Thanks!