Booze

2»

Replies

• JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    One word of warning: Do not use diet soda in mixed drinks.

While it seems like a great way to cut calories and still enjoy alcohol, it can drive your blood sugar dangerously low. Several girls died or were hospitalized when I was in college from doing this.

Really, I don't think it is dangerous if you are just having a 1 or 2 drinks. I've been known to drink a couple Vodka and Crystal Lights.... But if you are going to make a night of it and you only use an artificially sweetened mixer, you can end up hypoglycemic. Bottom line: you're probably going to need to comsume some calories if you're drinking, just add them into your calorie count for the day.

Really? Wow...interesting. Never heard that before. After only ONE night you can end up hypoglycemic? :sad: How much were those girls drinking????

Hypoglycemia isn't necessarily a permanent condition. The National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse says "Hypoglycemia, also called low blood glucose or low blood sugar, occurs when blood glucose drops below normal levels."
  • KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    that article you pulled up was very helpful. I kinda thought it had to do with excessive/binge drinking. Thanks!
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    that article you pulled up was very helpful. I kinda thought it had to do with excessive/binge drinking. Thanks!

You're welcome!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Well, there's nothing wrong with drinking. There's more calories in a glass of juice than a glass of white wine. Just know that if you're going to pack the calories on in one area, maybe skim them off somewhere else. If you're drinking Mojitos tonight, (like I probably will be) know that they're about 150 cals each, so maybe have a light lunch (300 cal salad instead of a 500 cal sandwich or entree) ... or work out an extra 150 cals when you go for a walk or the gym or whatever.

Also, when drinking alcohol, remember to stay hydrated. Drink as much water as you drink alcohol. Being dehydrated makes you retain water.

Best weight loss tip I ever heard: Moderation, Not Deprivation

Hope this helps.

I like the photo of your cute cat. Looks kinda like my cat Loki.... I miss him. he passed away this year.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Since I quit smoking, I don't drink nearly as often, but I do love red wine and indulge every once in a while. I also enjoy a whiskey and diet coke every once in a while. Recently I found Woody's 99 cal coolers. They are ALMOST as good as the original Woody's. They come in flavours such as orange, blueberry, raspberry, lime and grapefruit and are great for the summer.:flowerforyou:
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    I'm 22 and love to go out drinking with friends on the weekend. I pretty much know that it is one of the contributing factors to my plateau, but sometimes it's too much fun to give up. I have cut down though, and tend to drink lower cal drinks and that seems to help. :drinker:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Booze is one of my favourite topics....
    :wink:

I agree with Banks/SHBoss....

It just kills your workout the next day, in addition to all the calorie sabotaging it brings with it.

I did not really drink during my losing phase, and I personally wouldn't recommend it.

Once I'd lost the weight though.... pass the tequila friends....
    :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.