Protein Shakes for Meal Replacements

Options
My 17 year old son is into nutrition big time. He's successfully bulking up the healthy way and he's trying to talk me into trying some of the protein shakes (but not for meal replacement).

I am trying to go a step further by researching meal replacement shakes because I know people who have used them and been successful (Ideal Protein, etc.) but I can't go whole hog on the pay programs (you're paying for the education on eating right, but you can research that for free on the net) mostly because I cannot afford to do it.

Does anyone here have educated advice or experience on some of the Protein Shakes that will suffice as meal replacements?

~katie

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Most people around the parts mix the protein powder with some sort of milk/yogurt (normal, almond, etc) and fruits and/or peanut butter.
  • bchthrpy
    bchthrpy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I use GNC Lean Shake, Rich Chocolate. You are supposed to mix it with water but I mix mine with 1% milk and Activia Strawberry yogurt. I only use it when I am rushed for time and can't cook my usual breakfast. I find that it is the best tasting, lots of protein and fiber and it keeps me full for hours.
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Fiber is something that I've been missing. I've got to lower the sodium and up the fiber I think, too.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Fiber is something that I've been missing. I've got to lower the sodium and up the fiber I think, too.

You can search for smoothies that incorporate vegetables and such which would increase your fiber intake. I don't know of any smoothie/shake that incorporates salt, but...I'm sure there is..

Good luck
  • MorgannRoysterSmith
    Options
    I drink a Right Size Smoothie for breakfast with a cup of tea and a weight watchers snack bar. The smoothie is good and filling. Try it, its good, gives you all the vitamins you need and really does work. On the website there are all kinds of recipes to jazz up the drink. You can order or line but I've been able to find it in CVS. Well worth the price.