People with Fitbits.....thoughts please : )

Options

Replies

• mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I wear my fitbit all day everyday. I love it! It does count some steps when I am driving not too bad and you can separate those steps from other activity by pressing the button for two seconds when you get into the car to go somewhere and then press it again when you are done. No big deal. I find it is very accurate on distances and miles at least for me, I have tested it out on a mile track and it showed .99 mile at the end once and exactly one mile the other two times. I love how it motivates me!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    If you're considering buying one, now is the time to jump on it - check out this thread on SlickDeals - http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/73066/24-hour-fitness-fitbit-ultra-wireless-activity-tracker-blue-or-plum

Thanks for the link.....Just bought one for my wife. I love mine.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    When you set up your fitbit you enter your information.....It tracks your activity through the day to determine calorie burn. I find it great for most things except weight lifting, etc.

I have found mine most useful in terns of getting me an accurate idea of my TDEE. I had no idea my average burn is 2050 a day. I'd been eating 1400 - nowhere near anough, and have upped to 1800 which suits me much better and seems (fingers crossed) to be allowing me to lose slowly - AT LAST!

How did it help you accurately determine your TDEE? I've lost the links to the sites that help calculate this, but I wouldn't know how to use my FitBit to help with it anyway... lol I have myself as "lightly active" here on MFP, mostly due to what my FitBit has shown me, but beyond that, I don't know for sure...
  • Klein1475
    Klein1475 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have both.... I use fitbit to give me an overall idea of how active I am... Also, as a motivational tool to increase my activities.... It's pretty effective for that purpose. I use my HRM for workouts... I have on my fitbit and HRM during work outs other but only use the HRM reading for calories burned... If you take the fitbit off during work outs then you are not getting reading of your activity level for that day... I wear it all the time except in the water...

I hope that helps...

Tammy
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    And, to answer the original question...

I wear mine all the time. I've had a couple of times, since the beginning of February when I got mine, where it gave me some really wacky numbers, but by far, most of the time it is very accurate. I wear it to monitor sleep, all day while I'm working, and even when I work out. I use a Polar FT4 for my work outs as well, but I leave my FitBit on. I've found that, as long as I accurately record my work outs, the FitBit doesn't give me extra anyway. For example, today when I did my 30DS, when I entered it into exercise, my HRM told me 239. My FitBit had synced with MFP and initially given me 29 extra calories for FitBit exercise (yes, a whopping 29). I always put in my start time accurately when I record exercise, as this seems to be the key between the two sites and syncing exercise. Once the sites synced again, the extra calories that my FitBit had initially given me were taken away and now the only thing showing in my exercise record for today is my 30DS. Before I had my HRM, I used recorded my work outs on my FitBit and used whatever calories it gave me as my calories burned. With doing 30DS, the FitBit gave me about half, maybe slightly more, of what my HRM is telling me I burn. I especially like having the FitBit, though on my 'rest" days, as I usually still get out and do things, so the amount of activity might give me a small burn that I wouldn't have had recorded otherwise. HTH :smile:
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have found mine most useful in terns of getting me an accurate idea of my TDEE. I had no idea my average burn is 2050 a day. I'd been eating 1400 - nowhere near anough, and have upped to 1800 which suits me much better and seems (fingers crossed) to be allowing me to lose slowly - AT LAST!

How did it help you accurately determine your TDEE? I've lost the links to the sites that help calculate this, but I wouldn't know how to use my FitBit to help with it anyway... lol I have myself as "lightly active" here on MFP, mostly due to what my FitBit has shown me, but beyond that, I don't know for sure...

I know I wasn't the OP of this quote, but I found that after looking at my fitbit records of movement, I had grossly underestimated my level of activity.

Also, I feel that the fitbit allows me to monitor better cals in vs. cals out. One day I may only burn 1800, so I would adjust my eating to reflect that 750 deficit. However, another day I may burn 2500. I feel fitbit allows me to DAILY monitor my cals expended better. Does that make sense?
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    does the fit bit synch with mfp to say how many clas you should have based on height etc and exercise does it add automatically
    or would I still use mfp goals
  • Lora0626
    Lora0626 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I just bought one. :happy:
    If you're considering buying one, now is the time to jump on it - check out this thread on SlickDeals - http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/73066/24-hour-fitness-fitbit-ultra-wireless-activity-tracker-blue-or-plum
  • fajitatx
    fajitatx Posts: 36
    Options
    I love my fitbit, I find it helps give me a better means to track daily activity and I also really like earning the badges, I need 150 flights and 25k steps in a day and I will have a complete set.

I think you will like it, plus since there is no required subscription fee like many of the other devices, it will be easier to absorb the cost.
  • mariposa224
    Options

I know I wasn't the OP of this quote, but I found that after looking at my fitbit records of movement, I had grossly underestimated my level of activity.

Also, I feel that the fitbit allows me to monitor better cals in vs. cals out. One day I may only burn 1800, so I would adjust my eating to reflect that 750 deficit. However, another day I may burn 2500. I feel fitbit allows me to DAILY monitor my cals expended better. Does that make sense?

I'm still lost, but I don't think it's you. I think it's me and that I don't know my TDEE, so I don't really know how the info from my FitBit can help me better determine what it is/should be. I did an average a week or so ago of a couple weeks' worth of data from FitBit. Most days I climb about 15 flights of stairs (from 8 or so to over 20 per day), my average steps were in the 8000s, but range from under 5000 (not often) to well over 10000 some days. But... I don't know if that means I'm fairly active, lightly active, sedentary, or what... So, yeah, I think I'm just clueless. lol
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I just bought one. :happy:

Yes, thank you for this tip!!!! Much appreciated!!!
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later :)
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    for traveling... you need to use the stopwatch feature and then enter an activity on Fitbit for driving. This will zero out the steps etc. I don't worry about it unless we are on a long drive.

You can figure out your TDEE by looking at your averages... how many calories are you burning on average per day. For me it's 2000 - 2200. Once in a while I have a sedentary day so I just have to adjust my calories in for that. I usually go over 10K steps a day and that's what I strive for. That's what a fitbit is really good for... monitoring your day so you can understand how many calories you burn.

I use the stopwatch function for workouts and sleep. I mostly do the treadmill so it's been good for that. I might have to get a HRM now because we are getting bikes for the summer. Fitbit isn't good for bike riding. You need to use the stop watch function again and then override the activity manually.

There is a ton of info on the Fitbit website. They don't send a manual, it's all online.
  • cristileigh
    cristileigh Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you just get a BodyMedia Fit?
  • sciencenerd2011
    Options
    http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/73066/24-hour-fitness-fitbit-ultra-wireless-activity-tracker-blue-or-plum?token=AAEBBQAAAAAEPEEPmA

24 Hour Fitness has Fitbit Ultra Wireless Activity Tracker in Blue or Plum on sale for $84.95 - 10% Off Coupon AFP8128 = $76.46. Shipping is free.
  • mynewvision
    Options
    bump
  • joolie3
    joolie3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Love it. Gets me going. Gets me moving when other things haven't.
  • mariposa224
    Options

Well the other link above shows that the FitBit is $20 cheaper, shipped... AND there's no membership fee, EVER. Those would be reasons to choose the FitBit, in my book. :smile:
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options

for me it's the size of the Fitbit. I wear it on my underwear and no one can see it. It's so easy to wear all day and you can wear it with any outfit. You can tuck it into your bra, clip it on your pants, put it in your pocket.

The other reason is no subscription service. Everything I need is available to me for free.