where to start?

Options
im just starting back into weight loss to help with fertility and conceiving and dont know where to start. its been years since did any activity really so mostly stay on sofa or computer chair nowadays and want to start with something thats not gonna kill me

Replies

• KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Just start with walking, a little faster than you would normally but not by much.

Then, you start to raise the pace, when you are ready, after a short while, you might feel ready to take on something else.

Or pick something you enjoy.

Swimming, or a sport that you find fun.

As long as you are getting off the sofa and doing something it can be an effective start.

But start today.
    Motivation is the biggest problem with most people.

Don't give yourself any excuses, just start.
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You have made a good start on mfp. If I were to begin my journey again I would measure and take photos on day one, and if you can bear to wait a week, just start to log your food without changing too much.

Then You know where you are now and you can start to think what you need to change.

As for exercises/activity without knowing you and where you are, start slow and build. Walking, swimming and maybe take some professional advise. My local gym did a very gentle induction that gave me a good starting point.

Having said that, you have already started, as you are logged on.
  • yellowwhiterose
    yellowwhiterose Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just start with walking, a little faster than you would normally but not by much.

Then, you start to raise the pace, when you are ready, after a short while, you might feel ready to take on something else.

Or pick something you enjoy.

Swimming, or a sport that you find fun.

As long as you are getting off the sofa and doing something it can be an effective start.

But start today.
    Motivation is the biggest problem with most people.

Don't give yourself any excuses, just start.

maybe take the dog for walk around neighborhood again like did before, just cant do anything today cause water got in kitchen floor adn slid in it last night twisting ankle, can barely walk
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Yes. Walking the dog counts.

If you've got an injury, that is a completely valid reason to not do anything today, but as long as it's not too bad then go for it tomorrow.
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Great advice! I would say walking or another activity you enjoy on your own...it may help to find a buddy or do an activity with your partner that feels like more fun. We go for bike rides, play frisbee, enjoy the beach (that you have to hike some to get to) or things like that. I would say if you are comfortable or have a friend to get you into it maybe Zumba- I did it with a friend with similar goals and it was a fun way to begin feeling good about exercise.

Next food! I think it is a great start to just begin recording what you are eating and developing an awareness of what is in it and its calorie count. Then I imagine you will automatically begin making substitutions and healthier choices- also something best done with partner. Probably better for that baby to come into healthy lifestyle living parents!

Good luck to you!
  • yellowwhiterose
    yellowwhiterose Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    any good starter workout videos/programs?
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Yeah, any good ones for beginners, who have never set foot in a gym and don't intend to?

I'm afraid of Jillian, as I'm not sure I can keep up with the moves (maybe someone can clarify how hard the Ripped in 30 is, coordination-wise).

Anything for someone who has only ever done a Tae Bo tape, back in the day? I liked Tae Bo, because it was stupidly simple... I need something that just requires handweights and a mat and doesn't make you learn how to dance, 'cause that ain't gonna happen. :laugh:
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options

Yeah, any good ones for beginners, who have never set foot in a gym and don't intend to?

I'm afraid of Jillian, as I'm not sure I can keep up with the moves (maybe someone can clarify how hard the Ripped in 30 is, coordination-wise).

Anything for someone who has only ever done a Tae Bo tape, back in the day? I liked Tae Bo, because it was stupidly simple... I need something that just requires handweights and a mat and doesn't make you learn how to dance, 'cause that ain't gonna happen. :laugh:

Ripped in 30 is not difficult -coordination-wise, but you will really feel the workouts. The cardio sets are pretty basic, but they really work you.

I have many Denise Austin videos that would be good for beginners as well.
  • aprilkazmi
    Options
    The Turbo Fire workout is good, pilates, yoga are all good places to start.

If you dont already have some, get light weights 5Lb or so and do a little arm lifting will help. Walking is a great place to start