Sugar vs. Carbs

Options
I'm starting to watch my sugar intake, but I'm confused-
which is better, Low Sugar or Low Carb?

What numbers should I be aiming for, interms of how much sugar grams and how many carbs should I go for?

Replies

• dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Just pay attention to added sugars. You can't find these on the nutritional label, you'll have to look at the ingredients. If the ingredients list sugar, cane sugar, high fructose corn syrup, fructose, glucose, or anything else that ends in 'ose' it has added sugar.

If you limit overall sugar, you'll end up cutting out a lot of fruit. If you limit overall carbs, you'll end up cutting out fruit, whole grains and beans. All of these things are very good for you and provide fiber and essential vitamins and nutrients.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates once broken down are sugars. So what is most important is to make sure you get the complex carbs--those that aren't one step away from sugar but multiple. For instance Whole wheat bread and fruit are complex carbs--they have fiber that helps them to not be digested as quickly. White bread and cookies are simple carbs they go practically straight to your blood stream. I took nutrition about 10 years ago and hopefully I still remember right. I wouldn't decrease your carb amount per se I would more exchange the simple sugars and carbs for complex ones.

Good luck.