Too much fruit???

Options
I think I ate too much fruit today throughout the day. I had 1/2 grapefruit for breakfast, a medium banana for a snack, some blueberries and strawberries with lunch and a medium gala apple for another snack. I also ate other proteins ( egg, egg whites, chicken breast). I'm still within my calories for the day and have enough for dinner. Is too much fruit a bad thing????

Replies

• slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    The only worry would be when you, erm, need to go to the bathroom. It might be a bit "loose" so to speak.

Fruit is good fiber and good source of energy and vitamins. I wouldn't worry about too much unless you get a stomach ache.
  • ninaellis
    ninaellis Posts: 60
    Options
    I don't think so. Not if you're keeping within all your limits

The recommended intake for fruit & veg is '5 A DAY' just to stay healthy, nothing to do with weight loss,and they say if you can try & eat 5 different colours it's good too(to encourage variety more than anything I think?!)

I quite often have more than 5 pieces of fruit a day plus salads & veggies. So long as your tummy can handle it:wink:

So long as you're eating a good balance, & not just fruit, sounds fine to me x
  • weasleman42
    Options
    If you eat too much of ONE type of fruit, you may experience digestive issues. You seem to be mixing it up, so I wouldn't worry. Good luck!
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Too much fruit can be bad for you.

Have you had your triglycerides checked? Too much fruit will make your triglycerides go really high, which is dangerous.

I was told to cut out fruit except for 3 servings a week. Which is really hard for me to do. I have to severely limit how much tomato and onion I consume also because of the high levels of natural sugars.............

The food pyramid is a joke...............adhering to the food pyramid is why I am fat today along with being diabetic.......

The focus should be on protein first, then veggies with adding in limited fruit and small amounts of grains...............

Those 5 servings of "vegetables and fruits" that we should be consuming...........well 4 of those servings should be vegetables and 1 serving of fruit.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

Have you had your triglycerides checked? Too much fruit will make your triglycerides go really high, which is dangerous.

I was told to cut out fruit except for 3 servings a week. Which is really hard for me to do. I have to severely limit how much tomato and onion I consume also because of the high levels of natural sugars.............

The food pyramid is a joke...............adhering to the food pyramid is why I am fat today along with being diabetic.......

The focus should be on protein first, then veggies with adding in limited fruit and small amounts of grains...............

Those 5 servings of "vegetables and fruits" that we should be consuming...........well 4 of those servings should be vegetables and 1 serving of fruit.

:huh: Then I should be practically dead. I'm a vegetarian and with out fruits and veggies I would surely die. Also...Atkins is a horrible diet. My father-in-law was on it for 2 years....he is currently recovering from a heart attack.
  • rocknrolla2009
    rocknrolla2009 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was told my my MD that I shouldn't have more servings of fruit than veg due to the higher sugar content in most fruits while trying to lose weight.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    I was told my my MD that I shouldn't have more servings of fruit than veg due to the higher sugar content in most fruits while trying to lose weight.

Interesting....where are you getting your fiber and vitamins from? Do you supplement?
  • LeanLioness
    Options

:huh: Then I should be practically dead. I'm a vegetarian and with out fruits and veggies I would surely die. Also...Atkins is a horrible diet. My father-in-law was on it for 2 years....he is currently recovering from a heart attack.

Well, I will have to agree to disagree with you............

If DONE PROPERLY, Atkins is not a horrible diet, it is a lifelong eating plan..........

Care to view my blood work?

I know that Atkins did not cause your FIL's heart attack.

My endocrinologist has put me on Atkins and I can bring so much proof that it is not a bad way to eat............
  • LeanLioness
    Options

Interesting....where are you getting your fiber and vitamins from? Do you supplement?

She should be getting her fiber from vegetables..............

My doctor has basically told me the same thing.........

i had triglycerides over 500 and now they are down, way down.................
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options

She should be getting her fiber from vegetables..............

My doctor has basically told me the same thing.........

i had triglycerides over 500 and now they are down, way down.................

So is this no fruit at all? Or some types...such as berries and stuff? Sorry if I sound stupid. I've just never heard of such.
  • rocknrolla2009
    rocknrolla2009 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

It comes from the 8 or more servings of fruit and veg I eat a day..though I usually limit my fruit servings to 3/day as per my doctor's advice. I also eat mainly whole grains, nuts/seeds, and lean proteins. Don't think I'm lacking in fibre or nourishment. ;)

There's nothing wrong with fruit, IMHO. There's a lot worse things you could eat..I'm just watching my sugar intake too. Refined or natural, sugar is sugar.

:flowerforyou:
  • kgehling
    kgehling Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Provided you exercised at some point during the day the amount of fruit you ate is fine. Your body knows what to do with fruit...

As you know fruits consist of fructose and sucrose. The drawback to fructose is that is must be processed by your liver first. Then it is shuttled off to either your muscles as glycogen (assuming you worked out) or it can be stored as fat.

Timing is the key issue with regards to most carbs, fruits included. If your trying to lose a considerable amount of weight or lose body fat....then fruit and carbs are best tolerated early in the morning and/or after your workout and during the next 2-3 hours (the workout window).

Now....having said all that I stick to just a few servings a day. I'll have a small apple at breakfast or 1/2 cup of blueberries. Then after my workout (post/post workout meal) I'll have another serving...usually a medium orange. I'm currently 148 lbs, 6% body fat at 5'9.