Motivational mutt

Options
I've always enjoyed long walks in the country, which I'm blessed to be surrounded by where I live. But my problem was when I went out walking on my own, I always thought that other walkers (who almost always had a dog in tow) would look me up & down as if I was some sort of mad stalker, so didn't go walking much.
So six months ago I made the decision to get a dog, an 18 month old Jack Russell terrier called Lily. Since doing so there's been no stopping me, I'm out every evening for at least an hour in all weather conditions rain, wind or snow & with the added bonus of 1 hours walking equals 304 calories burned, meaning I can bulk up my net calorie intake with some extra fruit in the day or a larger portion at dinner. Or even better ….. a pint and a half of guilt free beer on a Saturday night (way to go Lily!!!!!). The other 6 pints are not guilt free, but I can live with that!!:drinker:
I have lost 21lbs so far & I know if it wasn't for my dog I'd not have got any where near the weight loss I've achieved.
Is there anyone else out there that has allot to thank their dog for?

If you want to add me as a friend, please do so as I have 28lbs left to loose & would be grateful of any advice & support & I'll return any advice I have in kind.

Replies

• myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 21 lb loss!

I have been seriously thinking about taking my dog for walks. We also live in the country so at the present he just goes outside and runs around our 99 acres by himself. He gets lots of exercise but I dont...lol

The only thing I am worried about is that he is a huge king rotweiller and he pulls hard when he walks. I am going to get him a halty when I go in to town tomorrow and see if that will stop his pulling. He will need it because we will be walking on the roads and a fairly busy secondary highway. Right now our fields are to wet to walk on,

I go to they gym 3 times a week and adding walking to my fitness program would be a good fit.

I like the idea of burning 300 + calories when walking for an hour!