Protein intake

Options
Hey everyone, I would like to get some advice on protein. Prior to joining mfp, I was always told anyone who is very active and does weights at the gym should have half to 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, which is what I was doing. I was having at least 100 to 125 grams of protein a day. My brother in law who has been a body builder for years stands by this as well. So why does mfp only allow me to have 57 grams a day? Any advice would be great.

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    There are a huge number of us that changed MFP's protein suggestion. the 1 gram/lb thing is pretty common advice and is what I use. You can change the ratios in the advanced goals page.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    ive always stuck to 1 to 1 1/2 grams per pound of body weight thats worked great for me
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    by the way, I usually do the "guided setup" first, then go back and do the custom setup to tweak it. (It is custom, not advanced as I previously said)
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It underestimates macros... Just like how it underestimates caloric intake etc....

I have adjusted all of my macros, etc in MFP. It has worked great to date!

You can adjust these in the goals tab.

Mine was always low, I adjusted by bringing carbs down and adding to protein until I was at or just above 1 gram per lbs of body weight. Macros - 40-45/30-35/30-25 - C/P/F. Im 190 at present, but I go a bit over, goal set for 35% or 193g, atm. But I go a bit over 200g per day and I dont worry about the overage. I believe that 1g per/lbs of body weight, or target body weight is about the norm for maintaining muscle while dropping a few pounds.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone,
    I will up my protein now. I thought maybe there was a particular reason mfp did this regarding weight loss.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    MFP follows the RDA for protein, which is 15% of calories from protein.

If it recommends 57 grams, your daily calorie goal must be 1520 calories.

1520 calories x 15 % x (gram protein / 4 calories) = 57 grams
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I aim for 1g per 1lb of lean body mass. Someday I will start back up to 1g per 1lb of body weight.
  • meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I also aim for at least 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass (often I eat more). I changed my ratios to 45% carbs/30% protein/25% fat. I'm at about 120 lbs of lean body mass and eat at least that in protein grams a day--actually am in the 130s most of the time.