Is ALL sugar bad?

Options
sma83
sma83 Posts: 485 Member
Ok, so Ive been over on my sugar intake pretty much every day, BUT like 95% of it comes from fat free milk and fresh fruit. Very little of it comes from candy or other foods. What Im wondering is: Will this interfere with me losing weight? Should I cut back on my sugar even if its coming from fruits?

Replies

• DeepBreaths
    Options
    I had the exact same question!
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Most of my sugar comes from milk and fruits as well and I never used to worry about it, but now my trainer has changed my diet and I've cut dairy out and she's told me to cut right down on my fruit (only have apples and berries) so I guess it does make a difference.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    No, as long as you stay under your calorie goal it won't interfere with you losing weight.

MFP is a little misleading because it counts all sugars towards your sugar goal, instead of ADDED sugars, which is what you are supposed to watch out for. Processed things that come in packaging = bad, fresh fruits = good

Sugar is just a carb, and unless you buy into the whole good carb/bad carb thing, it is nothing to be afraid of as long as you are eating healthy otherwise.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Sugar is bad, mmmkay?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Ok, so Ive been over on my sugar intake pretty much every day, BUT like 95% of it comes from fat free milk and fresh fruit. Very little of it comes from candy or other foods. What Im wondering is: Will this interfere with me losing weight? Should I cut back on my sugar even if its coming from fruits?

No, unless you have an insulin related metabolic disorder
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    yes. Sugar will make you fat.....don't eat any of it.

ok ......really.......no. Moderation is key.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    you can turn off sugar on your list of nutrients if it bugs you.

I don't actually know the rationale for the number that's set in MFP - maybe it's a USDA guideline or something.

The sugars from sources other than table sugar will all behave pretty well the same once you've eaten them.
  • ceejanerun
    Options
    have wondered the same thing myself. I'd read that you should limit your fruit to 2 servings per day, but I've noticed that there's even sugar being counted from my favourites of baby carrots and snap peas. I can't help wondering though - if a person's diet consisted only of fruit, and they ate as much as they wanted all day long for months on end - would they get fat?!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    You can go over on recommended sugar by eating fruit all day. That alone should tell you that tracking sugar is pretty much worthless. Imo track carbs instead - paying attention to where the sugar comes from. If it's packaged in fibrous fruits it's fine, if it's packaged in a processed candy bar, not so fine. I'm diabetic and even I don't bother tracking sugar.
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks y'all! I was really worried it was gonna effect weight loss, but I kept thinking...Its fresh fruit, it cant be bad for you! lol :flowerforyou:
  • thatguy010
    thatguy010 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sugar offers no nutritional benefits so eliminate it
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    If you search the forum for sugar you will get lots of information / debate on this subject. I find that if I eat two pieces of fruit my sugar is over. Strawberries and kiwi fruit are about the lowest in sugars, so I try and have those if I have the choice.

I stopped having added sugars, and milk in my coffee, I now have black coffee no sugar, and like it. But sugar is in milk, bread, fruit, tomatoes etc so you can't really avoid it all together. A lot of people say only worry about added sugars, but to me sugar is sugar where ever it comes from - at leaat sugar in fruit comes with freshness, vitamins, fibre etc :-)

I keep tracking my sugar, I have manually adjusted it to a higher level, and reduced my carbs, and I try & avoid processed added sugars, but I do have things like maple syrup at times, which is very sweet and thin (ie runny, not sticky like honey), so it spreads better over pancakes etc :-)

It's all about balance, as you get used to this you will know what works for you.

"Everything in moderation, including moderation" someone said :laugh:
  • JenniLisette
    Options
    Most of my sugar comes from milk and fruits as well and I never used to worry about it, but now my trainer has changed my diet and I've cut dairy out and she's told me to cut right down on my fruit (only have apples and berries) so I guess it does make a difference.

^^^^^ This...for sure! cut back on dairy and fruit.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    It depends on your health issues and medical history. My grandpa has diabetes and can't tolerate much sugar =(
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

But, a lot of food that contain fair amounts of sugar also contain lots of vitamins, minerals and fiber and are HEALTHY, wholesome, nutrient-dense foods.

Carrots, bell peppers, apples, sweet potatoes, beets, peas, corn, berries... these things all contain enough sugar to boost you pretty quickly over the (ridiculously low) MFP limit.

Personally, I don't watch my sugar at all. I watch my macros - carbs, fat, protein. That about does the trick for me. :-)
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Dont sweat it...

Stay away from refined sugar...

a couple fruits a day, n veggies isnt gonna bust your fat loss apart
  • karendsmith
    karendsmith Posts: 167
    Options
    I was told, if you are eating fruit, eat it early in the day so your body has time to work it off. Thats what I do and it seems to be ok.
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Be careful about taking people's statements as truth. They mean well, but can be outdated information or just hearsay (they heard it from someone that didn't know what they were talking about). Even some of the data on the internet from 'valid sources' is over 5 years old.

There has been a lot of research on the different types of sugars, specifically for how they react in your body and cause releases of specific hormones.

Here is just the first article that I found. I recommend doing searches on the website for the journal of metabolism and endocrinology.
    http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/89/6/2963.abstract?sid=d0e11a2f-0f30-42e9-a8a9-cb2d15c1f050

the Leptin/Ghrelin reaction is really interesting to read on, if you can keep it straight in your head :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Yeah! Who wants to enjoy life???