Just need to rant...not related to this site at all...

Options
TheMaidOfAstolat
TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
I was on my way back from lunch and I pulled up to a green light. I was in the turn lane to go left...a guy comes up behind me a feels that I am not pulled up far enough...so he makes a 'shooing' motion with his hands (sorry but I'm not going to pull up if the light might turn yellow/red on me-I'm not hanging out in the middle of the road or run a red)...so anyway after I am able to turn...he rides my bumper. The speed limit is 45 and it's just not fast enough for him...he decides to go around me...on my left (crossing over a double yellow)...so I then block his way. He flips me off and I'm almost at my office...so I get in the turn lane and put my left blinker on. He sees what I'm doing and does a u-turn in the road and comes back. He follows me to my office and then proceeds to yell at me (and curse). I have pepper spray and I pretty much shoved it in his face (I would have possibly used it except that he had his little kid in the back seat). All the thanks I get for actually following the law is road rage. Oh well...some people just assume that the roads are there for their purpose only and they can do what they want. :grumble: :angry: :mad:

Replies

• agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    This is also unrelated, but I heard the other day that instead of using pepper spray you should use wasp spray because it will temporarily blind the person until they get to the ER to get treated for it. Perfectly harmless in the end though.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Thanks fo the tip...the guy should be so lucky that I didn't have my glock on me (I'm at the range at least 2 times a week)...I'm in training for CERT and about to go into the academy. He pissed off the wrong girl. :wink:
  • RELLISON
    RELLISON Posts: 5
    Options
    sad that he would behave like that with a child in the car! I work at a city prosecutors office so I see this stuff all the time ..........unfortunatly! I hope your day gets better!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Oh, I would have used that pepper spray. It would have taught him a lesson; that sometimes you'll get somewhere faster by having patience -- the spray would have held him up another 20 minutes - kid or no kid!! Not to mention teaching HIS kid that this is what happens when you're an IDIOT!!!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    I've seen way too many wrecks because of impatience. I've done several internships with the police and fire crews around here (I have my degree in criminal justice). All I wanted to show that guy was the fact that it's stupid to rush and be rash...you only get hurt. The only thing I can hope for is that I don't read the news tomorrow about a wreck involving him and his kid. It's never okay to speed or cross a double yellow line. Even when I was in labor I drove myself to the hospital (40 miles away)....going the speed limit. I didn't want to endanger myself, my child, or anyone else.
  • dbg1
    dbg1 Posts: 208
    Options
    When you blocked his way you just added to the road rage. :explode: Why antagonize the person? You were looking to challenge him. :mad: Your lucky he didn't have a knife or gun himself. Your pepper spray would've done squat at that point. I get the feeling you don't walk away from confrontation. :devil: That just adds to todays problems in the world. If you take martial arts with a good Master, they always say the best way to stop a fight from starting is walk away:heart:

When he flipped you I would've just smiled and waved at him.:flowerforyou:

I always watch after they pass like that. If you notice them checking your mirrors, tehn they want to get back at you. Just a heads up.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    When you blocked his way you just added to the road rage. :explode: Why antagonize the person? You were looking to challenge him. :mad: Your lucky he didn't have a knife or gun himself. Your pepper spray would've done squat at that point. I get the feeling you don't walk away from confrontation. :devil: That just adds to todays problems in the world. If you take martial arts with a good Master, they always say the best way to stop a fight from starting is walk away:heart:

I always watch after they pass like that. If you notice them checking your mirrors, tehn they want to get back at you. Just a heads up.

I don't walk away from a fight....I'm in training to be a cop. I did smile and wave...he did a u-turn and followed me to my office. I will defend myself! :mad: BTW-the pepper spray would have done something...you've never been sprayed have you? I have...trust me I dropped to my knees and sobbed like a baby. Also...it's a mace/pepper spary mixture...much more intence. I also had my baton in my car and I would have used that as well. I am a trained fighter...I was raised that way.
  • dbg1
    dbg1 Posts: 208
    Options
    I wish you the best. As long as you know why you want to be a cop and can live with yourself then that's all there is.

I myself have been in a few fights while walking away. Most times by one person one time by three. The only fight I lost was the one with 3 attackers (obviously). One of those times I let myself get really mad (I lost it) and I hit the guy so hard I knocked him right out. He ended up being hospitalized. It was self defence. I was scared I might have killed him. That's not what I want to be remembered for. So I walk away and haven't been in a fight now for over 15 years.

Just wanted to give you a background as to why I said what I said. Take care.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I've been involved in some road rage occurences.

I'd never let them follow me to my work or my home though.. That's just me. They might want to come back later and do some damage.

If I'm close to one of those destinations, I'll drive around some more, if they continue to follow me, I'll lead them to local police station.

You said you've seen some wrecks because of impatience, and you wish you had your glock with me.

Maybe he was wishing the same thing. How many murders have you seen where it was some stranger who shot someone on the highway, or a driveby.

You can't tell who the crazies are, kid in the back seat or not.
    Too bad the kid probably heard dad use some curse words.
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Very well said ÜÜ
    I would NEVER let someone follow me to my work or my home...you just never know...they might be harmless, but what if they arent??? Now the guy knows where you work...regardless of whether or not you could 'handle' him, why take the chance....Ü Just my thoughts....glad you are okay...
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    I called one of the ladies I work with on my way in to let her know what was happening. She's an ex-army ranger. My bro-in-law was at the office as well...he's a army gunner (he'll be heading to Korea soon :sad: ) I was very well protected. I would never lead someone to my home though. Although I would feel bad if someone did try to break in...my hubby is a 5 time black belt (muay thai) and we have a pleathera of weapons on hand...and I can use them all. For those of you out there aren't a fan of guns...sorry...I don't mean to offend anyone or their beliefs. But to me peace is not always the answer. I am a member of the NRA...so I do believe that it's okay to have my glock with me.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    When I miss a left turn because someone is too skittish to pull out in the middle then I get angry too.

Passing left on a double yellow is wrong, but by blocking him you put him, his child and anyone driving the opposite direction in danger.

Glad everyone is okay, but I think there was fault on both sides. :flowerforyou:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    When I miss a left turn because someone is too skittish to pull out in the middle then I get angry too.

Passing left on a double yellow is wrong, but by blocking him you put him, his child and anyone driving the opposite direction in danger.

Glad everyone is okay, but I think there was fault on both sides. :flowerforyou:

I agree that I shouldn't have gotten in front of him...but I was pissed at being flipped off for no reason other than going the speed limit and not being stupid about making a left hand turn into oncoming traffic. At least there was no one in the opposite lane coming toward us (I wouldn't have done it otherwise). I may have been mad but I was not going to be incredibly stupid.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hey 'Maidof..;...I don't think you offended anyone, I think it is just a cultural difference. In Canada, if you say you have a 'glock' on you...that is fairly aggressive talk...as we aren't so much into handguns. They are pretty much illegal here (thankfully).
    A. :flowerforyou:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Hey 'Maidof..;...I don't think you offended anyone, I think it is just a cultural difference. In Canada, if you say you have a 'glock' on you...that is fairly aggressive talk...as we aren't so much into handguns. They are pretty much illegal here (thankfully).
    A. :flowerforyou:

I'm a deep south kinda girl I was taught to shoot a shot gun when I was 12. I'm not a redneck by any means but I do like to say that 'I shoot like a girl' hehe. BTW- I'm a vegetarian...I never have gone hunting or fishing.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Not to put too fine a point on it but it is perfectly legal and probably desireable to enter an intersection under a green light even if your intent is to turn left.
    That is what you should do to help with the flow of traffic imo.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Not to put too fine a point on it but it is perfectly legal and probably desireable to enter an intersection under a green light even if your intent is to turn left.
    That is what you should do to help with the flow of traffic imo.
    I don't usually...but I will sometimes. I neglected to state earlier that it's an intersection where a lot of people run the red light (there is a red light camera there)...and there is also a Publix (a local grocery store down here) on the corner...so lots of big rigs try to turn right there as well (after delivering stuff)...I don't feel like possibly being smooshed by one. :laugh:
  • tabchanges
    tabchanges Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I hate people like this. REDICULOUS. ugh. Did you really need to U-Turn and follow me into work, Pal? REALLY?
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I agree that you heightened the situation by blocking him.

Our Police Officers in Ontario (well paid, and well respected) are trained to diffuse these types of situations, not heighten them.

One could simply ignore it, and go about the drive, and not invite the anger (and potential violence) into one's life.

Peace
    :smile:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    I agree that you heightened the situation by blocking him.

Our Police Officers in Ontario (well paid, and well respected) are trained to diffuse these types of situations, not heighten them.

One could simply ignore it, and go about the drive, and not invite the anger (and potential violence) into one's life.

Peace
    :smile:

Must be nice to have good pay...I have applied at 4 different county departments only to be told that they are actually laying off officers because they cannot afford to keep them on staff. The recession in the US totally sucks.