Need Advice - PLEASE!

Options
Can you please tell me what workout DVD(s) you have used and had good results from? There are just WAY to many out there to chose from I just can't decide! I've already wasted my money on a few. Not that I consider it a total waste but I have P90X but I think my issue is I cannot block off a whole hour of time every day to work out! Please tell me what you liked about them!

Replies

• all4derby
    all4derby Posts: 55
    Options
    It's been my experience that workout DVDs are a matter of personal preference. A few that seem to be universally popular are the Leslie Sansone miles and the ones by Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels from The Biggest Loser. I have personally done a couple of the BL ones and I like them because they are challenging, but not impossible.

You mention results, but what kind of results are you looking for? Just weight loss? Building muscle?
  • mrsclusk
    mrsclusk Posts: 1
    Options
    I fell in love with my Jillian Michael's DVD's. I started ordering them through Netflix first to see if I liked them. The best part of Jillian's DVD's is that she has videos that range from 20 minutes to 50 minutes so I can choose which one I have time for on a particular day. I have 5 or 6 of her videos and I love them all. I ordered them from Amazon and usually if you buy more than one at a time you can get a great discount. I would suggest getting them from Netflix first to see if you like them.
    Hope that helps.
    :smile:
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It's been my experience that workout DVDs are a matter of personal preference. A few that seem to be universally popular are the Leslie Sansone miles and the ones by Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels from The Biggest Loser. I have personally done a couple of the BL ones and I like them because they are challenging, but not impossible.

You mention results, but what kind of results are you looking for? Just weight loss? Building muscle?

I'm looking for weight loss now. Eventually I will want to work on building muscle and toning but I need to drop about 30 lbs. first.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I'm looking for weight loss now. Eventually I will want to work on building muscle and toning but I need to drop about 30 lbs. first.

Just one comment and then I'll butt-out as this isn't directly answering your original post:

You're much better off starting a resistance training program now, while you lose weight. You'll have better long term results this way.

It's a common misunderstanding that people believe "lose the fat first, then build the muscle once you've dropped the fat" and it's very inefficient.

Best of luck to you!
  • TiffanyTravis
    Options
    If you need a fun workout that is easy on your joints the Veena and Neena Belly dance workout videos are fun.
  • Init_to_winit
    Options
    I fell in love with my Jillian Michael's DVD's. I started ordering them through Netflix first to see if I liked them. The best part of Jillian's DVD's is that she has videos that range from 20 minutes to 50 minutes so I can choose which one I have time for on a particular day. I have 5 or 6 of her videos and I love them all. I ordered them from Amazon and usually if you buy more than one at a time you can get a great discount. I would suggest getting them from Netflix first to see if you like them.
    Hope that helps.
    :smile:

Thanks I was looking into them. Had no idea they were on netflix!
  • Init_to_winit
    Options

Just one comment and then I'll butt-out as this isn't directly answering your original post:

You're much better off starting a resistance training program now, while you lose weight. You'll have better long term results this way.

It's a common misunderstanding that people believe "lose the fat first, then build the muscle once you've dropped the fat" and it's very inefficient.

Best of luck to you!

Appreciate the advice. I should combine that with cardio though correct? I don't just need to build muscle I need to shed some pounds.
  • sjdoman
    sjdoman Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    www.collagevideo.com they have online reviews of all the videos and you can return them within 30 days if you don't like them.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options

Best of luck to you!

I totally agree with this!! You can do cardio and strength training, and you'll have better results. If you add strength training, you won't lose as much muscle as you lose weight. Just something to think about...Good luck on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Best of luck to you!

Appreciate the advice. I should combine that with cardio though correct? I don't just need to build muscle I need to shed some pounds.

Combining them is generally fine and will help you create a larger calorie deficit. You are actually lifting weights to prevent your body from losing muscle. Generally speaking, people who do only cardio while dieting will actually lose lean mass during their weight loss. Lifting weights and consuming adequate protein helps to prevent this so that when you DO lose the weight, you are losing mostly fat. The end result is, to be blunt, a much better looking body when naked.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sidesteal, because that's what he told me to do and it's working :).

I HATE Jillian Michaels DVDs. Hate them. Just a matter of personal preference.

If you are going to work out at home, I like Turbo Fire for cardio and Chalean Extreme for weights. It's a good start, though I've gotten the most results from actually going to lift free weights at the gym.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba. It's so much fun and I got great results with it. But the workouts are mostly 45 - 60 min. If you are looking for the most bang for your buck in a short amount of time I'd suggest calisthenics. You need no equipment, they burn tons of calories and combine aerobic and strength training.
  • all4derby
    all4derby Posts: 55
    Options

I agree with the other posters who say you should incorporate strength training, but that doesn't discount every DVD. The BL ones use a lot of compound movements which will build strength. You don't necessarily need a weight room for that. Stay away from any that are pure cardio.
  • bugnsamsmom
    bugnsamsmom Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Best of luck to you!

My personal trainer told me..."muscle eats fat first". Don't worry, you're not going to bulk up unless your workout is specifically designed to do so. Check out Body Pump...they do have DVD's. It's an amazing workout! I do it only twice a week...you need to have a day off in between workouts...and mix in some cardio (I do Zumba and Body Attack).

I am working on shedding 65 pounds...I never thought that I (stress the I) would ever be caught saying that I like a workout routine that causes me to sweat so much and (at first) had me feeling sore the next day...but I do actually enjoy going!

So, like the other's said...find something that you are going to enjoy...it won't do you any good if it's just sitting on the shelf because you don't look forward to it!
  • MKloste
    MKloste Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I absoultely LOVED CRUNCH (DVD Series) Belly, Butt and Thigh Bootcamp. If you have netflix you can get it through netflix and that way you don't have to waste anymore money or if you know somebody that has Netflix maybe they can rent it for you and let you check it out! It is about 40-45 mins long but there is differenent segments so if you didn't want to do lunges or something like that you could skip that and cut off some time that way, or if you didn't want to do the stretching at the end you could cut out time that way as well. Anyways, I used that when I first started working out and it wasn't that difficult to follow and it was super enjoyable for the most part!

Also I have since joined a gym and I will do about 25 mins cardio and then I will do about 20 mins of weights machines for arms and legs and then I will take some of the ab and core exercise that I learned from the DVD and finish up with that. I do agree with the other post that cardio will help you lose the lbs but you definitely will want to add in some type of weight or resistance training with your cardio it will help you burn more calories and it will help you lose inches if you aren't losing lbs, the first 2 months on here I lost a total of 15 lbs and since joing the gym 2 weeks ago I haven't lost any lbs but I have lost a total of 1 inch in just those 2 weeks around my waist, hips and arms. So I definitely think that the weights help, and like I tell myself since I am getting more tone I definitely feel as though I look better then if I were to do just cardio and lose the lbs, although I definitely still have a lot of extra fat in my belly area that I need to lose, but muscle does weigh more the fat, so don't get discouraged if the scale doesn't go down at first, that's why I sugguest taking body measurements so that you can compare that way!

Best of luck to you and hope this helped! Don't be afarid to add those weights and help tone while trying to drop the lbs!