1895 8TH GRADE EDUCATION

2»

Replies

• iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,266 Member
    The History, Orthography and Geography questions are very, very simple. The english and math...less so.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Are you serious here? I was doing algebra in 8th grade. This is really basic.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Linguistically, the advent of modern day communication (texting, tweeting, FB, email, etc.) has dumbed up America. Most communication is not grammatically correct and most of this generation can't even punctuate correctly. Forget about spelling. We don't have time to deal with it. We're too busy LOLing and LMFAOing to worry about grammar.

internet-grammar.jpg
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    I'm guessing Orthography has to do with the proper oral pronunciation of the English language? You're hard pressed to find a person under 25 that can speak it properly now...

As I understand it orthography has to do with standard spellings of words and representations of sounds.

And as for speaking English "properly" - languages evolve. I'm one of those people who cringes at the misuse of your/you're, their/there/they're, etc. but I try to suppress those grammar freak issues of mine (mostly unsuccessfully lol) :) Language rules change over time and the English language looks and sounds different than it did even a hundred years ago; it will continue to change. I, for one, think the changes are really interesting and a study of why/how language evolution takes place is more productive than getting bent out of shape about using improper dialect; the latter seems to be an imperialistic impulse *gets off soapbox :tongue:
  • mstaser
    mstaser Posts: 657 Member

As were most of us. But I would rather my kids be learning math like this in 8th grade and worry about the specialized stuff later.

I think kids need to learn how to live in the world before they can learn how to rule it.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member

As were most of us. But I would rather my kids be learning math like this in 8th grade and worry about the specialized stuff later.

I think kids need to learn how to live in the world before they can learn how to rule it.
    I was talking to the person who said the math wasn't simple. This is much simpler than what I learned in 8th grade.

Why would you want your kids learning easy crap like this when they should already know it by 8th grade? Algebra is NOT too hard for 14-year-olds.
  • mstaser
    mstaser Posts: 657 Member
    This is mainly just an example of how I would like them taught. I just think by the time they are in 8th grade, they should take some time and learn how to use all the math they learned in the real day to day world.
  • tquig
    tquig Posts: 176 Member
    There is another very large component to the change in education that everyone here seems to be overlooking- the incredible changes in technology that has occurred (cars, flight, space travel, computers) and the amount of history itself ( multiple wars, World Wars, rise and fall of former Soviet Union, Middle East events) . This was 117 yrs ago. There is so much more information that must be taught to students to allow them to be employable today that if the teachers focused on this information then school would have to expand to 15+ yrs instead of 12. At some point there has to be a decision to replace less important information with more important information. Kids are still doing those types of math problems because it is relevant. Having an understanding of that level of grammar rules is certainly impressive but not nearly as important as understanding how to use a computer.

In those days very few people went to college, including teachers. Now, if you need that level of information you learn it in college. Otherwise, you focus on what will likely allow you to be employable at some level (i.e. literate and able to handle basic math).
  • tquig
    tquig Posts: 176 Member
    This is mainly just an example of how I would like them taught. I just think by the time they are in 8th grade, they should take some time and learn how to use all the math they learned in the real day to day world.

There must be a big difference between public schools- my 9 yr old is learning this type of math now and my 13 yr old in 8th grade can do this in her sleep.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,412 Member
    I have just added another layer of respect for my paternal grandparents, both graduated from COLLEGE in 1902 and worked as educators most of their lives. I remember them both as being extremely brilliant (though I lost them at a young age).