help! i need dinner :)

Options
hey all! so tonight is my night to make dinner for a group, there is going to be 5 of us total. i want to make something super healthy so i don't mess up my good eating habits.any suggestions for a meal i can make that is good healthwise but won't make my friends gag? i want to impress them with a delicious meal that is also good for them! any and all advice is appreciated :)

Replies

• sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    what kind of food do you like?
  • bellstalker
    bellstalker Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Chili & a great salad - greens with snap peas,cukes,tomato, onion etc. This goes around is delicious & nutritious.
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    Oven baked Tilapia. If you buy a bag of individually wrapped tilapia, the bag usually has the temp and time to bake. Thaw the Tilapia, then lightly drizzle with olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper. You can also throw in some vegetables in a separate container, like asparagus or squash and zucchini. Same seasoning as with the tilapia. The vegetables usually take less time to bake.
  • frankiesats
    frankiesats Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Stir fry?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Oven baked Tilapia. If you buy a bag of individually wrapped tilapia, the bag usually has the temp and time to bake. Thaw the Tilapia, then lightly drizzle with olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper. You can also throw in some vegetables in a separate container, like asparagus or squash and zucchini. Same seasoning as with the tilapia. The vegetables usually take less time to bake.

^ I was going to suggest a pan fried tilapia with steamed vegetables. Tilapia is delicious if it's well seasoned and you don't even need to bread it. I'm able to fry up a good 12-16oz of Tilapia with a minimal amount of butter.

Above suggestion in quotes is great too. In terms of volume, a buttload of tilapia and some veggies makes for a delicious and low calorie meal with a lot of protein. It's one of my go-to meals as of late.
  • microMXL
    microMXL Posts: 51
    Options
    tilapia & veggies wrapped in tinfoil
    pescado_empapelado.jpg
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    marinade chicken breasts in olive oil, crushed garlic, oregano, and lemon juice for a couple of hours. Grill and serve with a fresh salad and home made tzatziki (fat free plain greek yoghurt, chopped cucumber, dill, lemon juice and crushed garlic). Also a side of warmed oatbran and flax pita.
  • gklibby
    gklibby Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You can check out www.skinnytaste.com. It's a fantastic website with great, healthy recipes. Everything I've made from it was good even though it was lower fat/lower calorie. A lady named Gina runs the site and she lists all the nutritional info with each recipe. If you do WW, she also lists points. On the left side, there is a panel with all sorts of categories, so you can search by beef, chicken, Asian-inspired, slow cooker, vegetarian, desserts, sides, etc.
  • bnv08
    bnv08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    awesome! i like pretty much any type of food. i also have a love for all things spicy! thank you guys so much for the detailed response! the tilapia seems easy, healthy, and delishhh.
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    ^ I was going to suggest a pan fried tilapia with steamed vegetables. Tilapia is delicious if it's well seasoned and you don't even need to bread it. I'm able to fry up a good 12-16oz of Tilapia with a minimal amount of butter.

Above suggestion in quotes is great too. In terms of volume, a buttload of tilapia and some veggies makes for a delicious and low calorie meal with a lot of protein. It's one of my go-to meals as of late.

I usually eat two 4oz filetes since its low cal. I'm going to try it your way. Sounds good.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    How about a ginger, spinach and lentil curry? My recipe is 183 cals per serving, so plenty of leeway if you want nan bread or rice with it! The below recipe is the approximate amounts per serving - I made 3 servings altogether with one tin of tomatoes, so two tins would be good for 5-6 servings! The spinach is an approximation - I just threw in as much spinach as looked good!

Chunky Chopped Tomatoes, 0.3 container (400 gs ea.)
    Le Puy Lentils, 25 g
    Fresh Raw - Cilantro/Coriander, 0.2 cup
    Spinach - Cooked, boiled, drained, without salt, 0.3 cup
    Generic - Garlic, 0.3 Tbsp (4g)
    Onions - Raw, 0.25 medium (2-1/2" dia)
    Ginger root - Raw, 2 tsp
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 0.3 Tbsp
    Fat Free Natural Yoghurt, 20 gms
    Tandoori masala spice mix
    Turmeric
    Cumin
    Chilli powder/fresh chilli

Simple and delicious! You need to boil the lentils separately, puy/speckled lentils only need about 15 minutes, they are best al dente. Then just add them in at the end!