AI vs. The Voice(and no - I am not a ____)

Options
I recently got into a (completely silly) debate with one of my very favorite people about American Idol and The Voice. The debate was - what is more "teenagerish", American Idol or The Voice?

Any insightful input would be appreciated and sarcasm is completely welcome - assuming it is skewed towards MY side of the debate.

Replies

• ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    more teenager-ish is american idol. because i said so.
  • Pengi81
    Pengi81 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I think the concept of The Voice is much better than American Idol (or X Factor, speaking as a Brit)

It's better to judge somebody on their singing ability rather than whether they look the part or not.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I don't watch either but I'd vote American Idol b/c I know some teen girls that are SO LIKE into it!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I like the Voice and watch it when I can. Don't really care for AI.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I prefer The Voice; but don't really watch either...plus, Paula Abdul has aged horribly on AI...oh wait, that's Steven Tyler...my bad.
  • Pengi81
    Pengi81 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I prefer The Voice; but don't really watch either...plus, Paula Abdul has aged horribly on AI...oh wait, that's Steven Tyler...my bad.

LMAO!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i don't watch either anymore... AI is more teenageish though.
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Definitly The Voice! It's about time ppl were not judged on looks! And American Idol also tries so hard to turn their contestants into what AI thinks they should be. The Voice celebrates each artists' individuality just as they are. Refreshing in a world where we are so judgemental!

:drinker:
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I like the concept of The Voice in not seeing the performer... but I am a dedicated American Idol fan!

I have had a couple adult friends try out for AI so I don't really see it as teenager-ish i guess lol

let's just say if theres nothing on ill watch the voice.... i dvr EVERY American Idol! hahaha
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'd say that American Idol is more "teenagerish"
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    The Voice is soo much better than AI!
    Better concept.
    Also, it lets people who might not have a chance normally (because physically they aren't the cookie cutter 'it girl/boy') have one.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I think the concept of The Voice is much better than American Idol (or X Factor, speaking as a Brit)

It's better to judge somebody on their singing ability rather than whether they look the part or not.

I agree. Plus I think the talent on The Voice has been far superior to the talent on AI in recent years. I caught an episode of AI last season when all the guys were singing together and I was like "Seriously? That's the best they could find?"

A friend of mine lives in Holland (where The Voice originated, called "The Voice of Holland") and she's auditioning for it on May 6th! So excited for her!

I've auditioned for AI a couple times and the first time got told I'm too "trained" sounding (well, I took lessons for 7 years, I hope I sound trained) and the 2nd time I got stuck with the table of producers that were only sending through idiots dressed stupid that sounded like crap. They passed up a lot of really talented people because the morons make good tv. Stupid. My friend's little brother made the AI top 10 a few years ago though!
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    I recently got into a (completely silly) debate with one of my very favorite people about American Idol and The Voice. The debate was - what is more "teenagerish", American Idol or The Voice?

Any insightful input would be appreciated and sarcasm is completely welcome - assuming it is skewed towards MY side of the debate.

I'd be happy to produce sarcasm towards your side of the debate, but you didn't say which side that was. Therefore, I'm witholding all sarcastic remarks until I know which way I can truly be offensive!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Also, The Voice is better because when I watch it I get to stare at Adam Levine for an hour.
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm 42, I watch both.

I like the comments from the judges on The Voice better. However, the singing on AI seems to be better this season. Missing Colton Dixon already though. He was one of my 2 faves.

Teenagerish? I think it's for everyone. But, I do record them both and fast forward if I don't like the singing. Makes for a much more pleasant experience. Sometimes I wonder if the judges on AI can hear what I can. I think it's horrible and they are giving them a standing ovation. I've been known to rant at the TV over it.
  • JessieArt
    Options
    Also, The Voice is better because when I watch it I get to stare at Adam Levine for an hour.

Eye candy isn't fatening!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    the judges on american idol are terrible. i was soo excited when they hired steven tyler, but he sucks as a judge.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    the judges on american idol are terrible. i was soo excited when they hired steven tyler, but he sucks as a judge.

J-Lo is just horrid...every time she opens her mouth I just want to reach through the screen & staple it shut
  • JessieArt
    Options
    J-Lo is just horrid...every time she opens her mouth I just want to reach through the screen & staple it shut

I second that. We'd get along just fine. We could throw our 94% fat free popcorn at the TV together while we scream at J-Lo for being so darn irritating.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I love both shows... My current favorite is Elise Testone.... On American Idol. Im still in shock of how great her "Whole Lotta Love" performance was. Robert Plant would be proud of her. I know Stevie Nicks was awful proud of how great it sounded. Did you see that one??