subway = big mac?!

Options
00Angela00
00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
So for lunch I had a subway spicy italian sandwhich with all the veggies, ranch and mustard and It was 540 calories. So today we decided to check out the nutrients in a big mac and they were almost IDENTICAL to the subway sandwich except it have 10 more calories and more protein?!!!!!! I feel fat now ....

Replies

• oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    did you have the foot long, i usually have the 6 inch and a large glass of water, usually fills me up

:flowerforyou:
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Even though it might have the same calories and fat intake... wouldn't you rather enjoy having "real" meat, Fresh Veggies, Cheese, and there's rolls.. yum!!! I think you still made a better choice having subway them greased fill mcdonalds..... think about how mcdonalds keeps there meat warm , subway has everything right there so you can see your food isn't sitting under heat lamps or soaking in grease....
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    i have noticed the same thing. I try to stick w/ the 6" veggie delight on wheat, or the chicken breast. But i hardly eat there anymore its really not "healthy food". the lower fat subs can def be incorporated into a healthy diet, but not a staple. I was sad when i looked at the tuna... i love the tuna sandwich there :(
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    So for lunch I had a subway spicy italian sandwhich with all the veggies, ranch and mustard and It was 540 calories. So today we decided to check out the nutrients in a big mac and they were almost IDENTICAL to the subway sandwich except it have 10 more calories and more protein?!!!!!! I feel fat now ....

Here's another question.. Does anybody go and just buy a Big Mac and a water? or a diet coke?
    You know how pop and fries taste so good with that greasy burger.

You had a sub and it was healthier.
    I felt like that the first time I went to subway, I heard about the big hype, it was on biggest loser. So I ate my 12" and when I got home looked up how many calories.

I worked out extra my next workout and put it in the past But I don't forget now that subway isnt' really that "healthy"
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    did you have the foot long, i usually have the 6 inch and a large glass of water, usually fills me up

:flowerforyou:

I did have the footlong, and I actually have to correct myself, with the ranch dressing and mustard it was 680 CALORIES!!!
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    ...but I LOVE their veggie delight salad with all the veggies and no dressing!!! It's awesome! Don't get the croutons and have them sprinkle the oregano spices on it! Mmmm. Makes me want one right now.

That salad can't be THAT bad for you, can it??
  • elva82
    elva82 Posts: 6
    Options
    try switching to
    Turkey
    or
    Black Forrest Ham

on Wheat no Mayo or Cheese

:)
  • 00Angela00
    Options

Here's another question.. Does anybody go and just buy a Big Mac and a water? or a diet coke?

I felt like that the first time I went to subway, I heard about the big hype, it was on biggest loser. So I ate my 12" and when I got home looked up how many calories.

I worked out extra my next workout and put it in the past But I don't forget now that subway isnt' really that "healthy"

Well that's the think with Biggest Loser, they're sponsered by these companies that require them to advertise. For instance in Jillian Michaels book "Mastering your matabolism" she says not to cook foods with plastics, including the steam veggies that come in the zip log bags, which she totally advertises on the show. So weird ...
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I hate it when I eat something and then discover how many calories it had in it! It happens all the time. It's amazing how fast those buggers add up!:laugh: I'm learning to read the calories before I eat them. However, it just doesn't seem right that a big mac would equal a subway.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    There is a low fat/cal menu posted on the glass at Subway. The Italian is all fatty and sodium loaded meats. The turkey and ham are a bit better on sodium but a lot better on fat.

I have 1/2 whole wheat turkey with vinegar on the bread and all the veggies then some oil and vinegar on the top. mmmmmmmmmmmm now I want one!!

:drinker:
  • srtakelch
    srtakelch Posts: 24
    Options
    don't you feel like the FOOT LONG Subway sub is about 3 times more food than the big Mac tho?

The big mac is what... 4 inches in diameter and 4 inches tall?
    The Sub is 4 inches tall by... 12 inches long!!

I know when I eat that footlong that my stomach is getting physically stretched and expanded.
  • jillybillygoat
    jillybillygoat Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    don't you feel like the FOOT LONG Subway sub is about 3 times more food than the big Mac tho?

The big mac is what... 4 inches in diameter and 4 inches tall?
    The Sub is 4 inches tall by... 12 inches long!!

I know when I eat that footlong that my stomach is getting physically stretched and expanded.

FIrst thing that came to my mind. I don't know about 3 times, but the foot long is definitely at least twice as much food as a Big Mac.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Well that's the think with Biggest Loser, they're sponsered by these companies that require them to advertise. For instance in Jillian Michaels book "Mastering your matabolism" she says not to cook foods with plastics, including the steam veggies that come in the zip log bags, which she totally advertises on the show. So weird ...
    [/quote]

I kind of lost interest in her book when I noticed the differences in what she says on tv and what is on the book. I really have a hard time when people don't stick to their guns on what they truly believe in. IF cooking in plastic is bad for you metabolism then she should not advertise it on tv. :noway:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Actually I am one of those strange people that do order a Big Mac or Double cheeseburger and a water. :wink: I stay away from subway because even after eating a 12 inch I am still starving. The fat in the cheeseburger hold me longer.

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Next time try having a 6" sub, with apple slices and a milk. It'll fill you up just as much.
    You really shouldn't be having a foot long sub in one sitting - though I'll be the first to admit that I eat them myself sometimes. I believe 6" is a serving.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options

OMG but was the subway spicy italian not the BOMB!!! LOL. Sorry I know it doesnt help but I shared a footlong with a friend a couple of weeks ago and mmmm mmmm yummay!!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    We're all going to eat things we regret in our lives...even the thinnest of people occasionally overeat. The sub was definitely a better choice than a Big Mac, and a lot more filling, I'm sure. :smile:

Don't let it discourage you. It's only one meal in a lifetime full of meals.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I gave up the Spicy Italian and Cold Cut Trio, trading them out for the Turkey.
    Cuts the calories extensively.
    I can't do without cheese. It's like a cardinal sin in my book.
    Also can't do without the (light) mayo. Just a little.
    But I cut the oil and just ask for vinegar and all the spices.
    It works. I love Subway.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options

Wait, what? What is her reasoning for not cooking vegetables in or with plastic? That seems odd, haven't heard that before...
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I've found that pre-planning my splurges goes a long way towards limiting the excess calories/carbs/fat. Today is Friday and I plan to eat out. My original plan was very high in calories, carbs and fat and thats ok, I'd planned for it. But I need to run some errands too, so I switched to Quizno's sub (to go) and decided on a much healthier small club sub. It's still way over my normal lunch range, but much less than the restaurant I had planned to go to.

But knowing what I'm doing by entering it here ahead of time allows me to adjust my snacks and other meals to compensate.

I like it! :flowerforyou: