Why is it so easy to talk to strangers

Options
2»

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Because you're all just voices in my head.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Anonymity.
    No accountability (if you say something that you shouldn't have you NEVER have to meet these people face to face...).
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options

And when Satan sees the bunny...
  • Babygirl928
    Babygirl928 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Anonymity breeds honesty + a lack of personal investment in your failure to lose weight + a shared desire to succeed all add up to often getting better help here.

Agree with the anonymity part. My MFP friends know my name and some know where I live, but that's all when it comes to who I am...I don't post pictures of my face or anything like that. But they know so much about my personal life and help me through a lot of things without even knowing who I am.

I think it helps me be more honest about my weight gain/loss, pleasure in my small eating/exercising successes, etc.

I also find it easier to believe what my MFP friends say than my real friends...women are so weird and competitive in real life. On here, they are so nice and encouraging.

My friends don't even know I'm trying to lose weight.

Love my MFP friends :happy:
    My friends dont either lol....sad sad very sad but nice to know I am not alone lol
  • Babygirl928
    Options
    and from reading your posts....they are dirty voices :laugh:
  • Babygirl928
    Options
    Personally I have no shame.

Exactly! I talk to strangers in person the same way I do online.
    so do i but people seem to be less judgmental on here and less b!tchy about you bettering yourself
  • shannoninBC
    shannoninBC Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree. I way prefer this over FB, no annoying family here or inlaws. I have made many great friends on here :)
  • Babygirl928
    Options
    I'd have to agree. I way prefer this over FB, no annoying family here or inlaws. I have made many great friends on here :)
    I havent been on fb since I started getting sucked in on these forums LMAO
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Writing has always been a better way to communicate, IMO. No one interrupts me when I write. I can consider my thoughts and re-read and polish them - or hit <reply> in a compulsive fit and regret the pytos. The people who read my writing are obviously interested to a point. And they get the luxury of reading and pondering their reply rather than having to quickly fill the awkward spaces of a face-to-face conversation. And if my writing connects to anyone else, maybe they friend you or PM you.

Problem is I read all sorts of great thoughts and insights, and they are usually written by beautiful single or married women (a majority demographic on MFP) and since I am old, married, and potentially creepy, I have to respect their space. A lot of other great thoughts and posts are written by men who've been through hell and back and survived to write about it. I admire them quietly from afar; not much to say to them they haven't already heard.

So I keep typing blogs, post replies, and jokes and thoughts into the MFP community hoping to connect with someone who would be a good fitness journey partner. I have a couple and I am grateful for them. Only been here 26 days. If nothing else, hanging out with all of you is very educational and entertaining at best, and easily walked away from at its worst.

And if you got this far, thanks for listening! Good luck on your fitness quest,
  • jplord
    Options
    say it.

Thread-killer.
  • Babygirl928
    Options
    say it.

Thread-killer.
    LOLOL no I was actually just reading the one you posted. There is no thread kill. I was just looking to see if people thought and felt the same way. never thought of your point of actually being able to type your thoughts out before you say something stupid or that you'll regret. i truly appreciate you taking the time to answer :)
  • Uuugggghhhhhhh
    Options
    I'm just a figment of your imagination.

Your very fkd up imagination.
  • Babygirl928
    Options
    I'm just a figment of your imagination.

Your very fkd up imagination.
    is there any other kind?? :noway:
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I, personally, find it much easier to be myself in a room full of strangers, than I do in a room full of friends. More often times than not, we are so much more than what most people care to see, or more than we care to share. The internet provides a freedom to be who you are and, regardless of who that person is, you are bound to find like minded individuals within the millions of us on the web ...

Exactly
  • jplord
    Options
    [/quote]
    LOLOL no I was actually just reading the one you posted. There is no thread kill. I was just looking to see if people thought and felt the same way. never thought of your point of actually being able to type your thoughts out before you say something stupid or that you'll regret. i truly appreciate you taking the time to answer :)
    [/quote]

Thank your for a thoughtful response, he said cogitatingly.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I know, its nice right, i feel like everyone is pretty nice here since we are united under healthiness haha. Add me if you want =]