Newbie and needs help with serving sizes

Options
Hello! Newbie here and just started adding my recipes to my database. I have a question though, it asks how many people it serves? How do you figure out your serving size. For example when making something like a taco dip, how would you figure out the serving size?

Replies

• robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Assuming you simply want to know the nutritional value of your portion. Enter the ingredients for the recipe as normal and make the number of portions to be "1". Weigh the dip once it's prepared and note the weight. You could, if you wish enter the total weight in the title of the recipe as a reminder, eg "Fred's Dip 1/1/12 gt 400 gms". Weigh your personal serving and note what it is. Divide the weight of your personal serving by the total weight of the dish. This gives the proportion of the dip which is your personal serving. Enter this figure as the serving size. Eg say you had 50 gms of the total dish which weighed 400 gms. Your personal serving would be 0.125. Entering this in your diary as the serving size will give you the data which you are tracking. Hope this helps.
  • maybebaby40
    Options
    I do it a bit easier- I add the recipe with the amount of servings I would like to get- and then adjust after dish it up-

example I made stir fry used 6 as the serving size was 350ish per person- after portion out- using a 1 cup measureing cup - got 2 cups per serving and 8 servings bringing the total to 292 per serving-

for casseroles- usually 1 cup food with salad or 1.5 to 2 cups without salad- but I like alot of food on my plate

side dishes usually 1/2 cup to 1 cup