Elephants the Circus and Me

Options
Okay so I started this work out thing a little late in life. I was the type that was never thin, never fat, but just about always average--You know the type of girl that could show a little skin, but hasn't ever really worn a bikini. Being Single, never married, a work horse, and truthfully caretaker of everyone but me....I was devasted at 40.

All my years of getting by and still looking cute changed after 40. I stopped dating, stopped wearing size 8, or 10 and creeped to about 60 lbs overweight. I had really never excercised, because I was always running around and loved my Mocha Latte's with Whip Cream.

Now I'm in the obese catagory, and a solid size 14 at a petite 5 foot 2 inches. My 3 year old neice recently asked me why my feet couldn't come together, and when I explained my thighs were too big and they touched first, she told me she saw a picture like that at the Circus once. There was this largest woman in the world next to an elephant, and the woman had a bigger thigh than the elephant. Out of the mouths of babes. Turning Point for me, because at the moment she explained it, I was picturing cotton candy and a chocolate ice cream bar.

To enjoy these truths more humbly I have started the calorie journal, yoga (I'm starting with the child pose), and the occassional run on the treadmil. Although, I thought I was going to die at a mere 5 minutes at 4.5 speed. My goal---to get into a pair of jeans that don't have an elastic waist and maybe have my neice compare me next time to the lady on the Trapeze....hey there is always wishful thinking.

Can anyone offer me encouragement or tips on how to get and keep at the gym, vs. hanging out by the Circus food?

Replies

• abstractdaisy
    Options
    I too was slim as a kid, as a teen and slim well into my 20's and 30's. Now I'm in my mid 40's and the fat hangs around like a bad ex-husband.

Since I'm not an excerciser I needed to find a diet that worked but didn't make me also start out working out everyday since I thought that not drinking wine everyday, dieting AND working out would tax my body too much :)

To the point. I started on Sunday, the Diabetes DTour Diet--just the sample meals so far since my book hasn't arrived with the full flavor of the diet. Having said that--since Sunday and this is no joke, I have lost 4.5 pounds and I am eating three solid meals each day. The food is normal stuff and really, really good. (Example: tonights dinner was chicken breasts on sauteed onion, pears and wilted spinach with crumbled blue cheese on top--total calorie count 301).

I highly recommend the diet to anyone--even if you're not diabetic. What apparently the diet consists of is a combination of fiber, calcium, vitamin D and one other nutrient I can't remember that's deemed imperative to fighting the belly fat and keeping blood sugar at even keels so there are no surges hence there are no binges. I must say it's working.

They do encourage excercising but after you've made some progress.

That was a pretty long winded message but I really encourage you to find something you know you can stick to.

Good Luck! If I can stick to something and I'm a quitter then anyone can persevere.