Do you exercise on empty stomach?

Options

Replies

• choirgirl1130
    choirgirl1130 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i normally have my coffee & usually a slice of whole wheat toast w a bit of peanut butter.
  • Phenix_Ablaze
    Phenix_Ablaze Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I only have coffee before working out if I go early in the morning. Otherwise, I eat a light meal or snack 1-2 hours before working out. Works for me. :smile:

If I had coffee beforehand, I'd likely be running to the restroom mid-workout! lol.
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    I work out first thing in the morning and I eat a slice of a sandwich thin with a tiny amount of peanut butter on it and drink some coffee and drink a bottle of water during my workout which last about 1 hour. I do better with a little something on my stomach but not a whole meal. Ive tried working out in the mornings on a empty stomach and I felt weak and unfocused.
  • aurorabdcrg
    Options
    I totally agree. If I have absolutely NOTHING in my stomach, I can't finish a workout.

So, I'll eat something small. I don't get FULL; I eat just enough to get me by - like a 1/3 cup of oatmeal with 1 tbsp of walnuts.
  • Tatyanne
    Tatyanne Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 6am, do my Jillian workout and then have a shower and take my complete breakfast (fruit, dairy, bread and coffe).
    When i exercise in the afternoon (7pm) I usually eat something at 6pm.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    If I eat before I work out, I get sick to my stomach as I run. I don't sweat well, and the heat plus the food makes me want to yak. Normally, I'll eat right after, slowly. I grab a snack about 2 hours before.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I suppose it depends on the person whether it works or not. Myself I have morning medication that needs taking, some of which requires food with it, so when I get up I eat a banana or some yogurt or a small granola bar, drink water, and take my medicine before I work out. I don't get nauseous or anything from having food in my stomach, but at the same time it's not like I sat down to eggs, bacon, and pancakes before subjecting myself to an hour or so of weights, machines, and generally sweating until I can smell myself. If I go without food or if I've eaten the bare minimum that morning I do notice some acid reflux when I'm at the gym but I'm convinced that's because I consume water in great amounts and it's not due to my strain or anything.
  • ckneasel
    ckneasel Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    been training fasted for several months now, and have had no ill affects...

people that think they are getting fuel from a small meal an hour prior to working out are mistaken... that pre workout meal will actually be "fueling" you post workout, not during...

increased GH production during fasted state is just one benefit, and the use of stored energy (fat) is another... fasted training is ideal when trying to lose bodyfat...
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hell no I'm usually miserable and my performance lacks when I do that. I do try to eat an hour or more before a workout though, eating right before doesn't work for me.
  • hellosteph11
    Options
    Always. I don't last as longer when I eat before hand.
  • TheReese1206
    Options
    I usually have something small. I will have Toast w/pb, Banana, small protein shake. I can not eat a lot before.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    From everything I've read, it really doesn't matter if you workout before or after you eat in terms of how much fat you burn.

I prefer to eat before hand, especially if I'm running, but I like to give my food about an hour to settle. If I don't have that long, I may have something small and light and then eat a little more after my workout. It just depends.
  • Tashry
    Tashry Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on the workout. If I'm doing my cardio - which for me is running - I do not eat first. I am out the door running by 6am. Then I come back and drink a protein shake. Then I'll do my weights if it is a lifting day. Then I'll eat a good healthy breakfast and start my day.

I just find this works better for me. I've tried afternoon and evening runs, but my stride and energy level are much better first thing after a good night of rest.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    It depends on the workout for me. If I'm heading out for a long run (say > 5 miles) I'll have a protein bar or a GU (or both if I'm doing a really long run). Every morning I make sure I drink at least 8 oz of water when I get up.
  • NurseCarolyn2014
    Options
    I don't really think it matters
    Uh, apparently you missed where Dr. Oz says it DOES matter. :wink:

^^^ hahaha !!:laugh:
  • brow2294
    brow2294 Posts: 4
    Options
    Yes, I'll eat something small like an apple or a banana. Just enough to feel satisfied throughout the workout :) Without a bite of something before I workout, I get too dizzy.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If I am not hungry, I don't eat right before, but I don't workout hungry, either. If I know it's a workout day and I'm starting to get to the point where my stomach is talking to me I will eat about an hour before. If i eat right before a workout my stomach gets upset. If you are super hungry it might distract you from your workout, too, so maybe try a tiny snack and some water, and follow up the workout with your meal. I work out after work, so I'm really looking forward to dinner when I am done!
  • ClaudiaF77
    Options
    Not a big meal and not right before, but I have to have had something. I can definitely feel the difference, but then again, my main exercise is fencing and there's nothing like suddenly hitting a no energy patch when someone's coming at you with a sword. I've also seen people faint on piste because they've not eaten so I'm a little paranoid.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I've trained both fasted and fed and I enjoy both.

There's nothing inherently wrong with either. I'd go with whichever one provides you better performance.
  • debobrien1
    Options
    Doctor Oz and Fat Burners... This is bound to go splendidly :)

HAHAHAHAHA!!!:laugh: