Sweet Potatoes

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
Does anyone have suggestions on how to prepare your Sweet Potatoes in a "light" way?

I always just bake and sprinkle some cinnamon/sugar on them and eat whole. I LOVE them but some variety would be welcome :)

Replies

• onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Is there any way to slice them and bake them to make sweet potato fries, without all the yumminess of oil and such?
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Baked sweet potato fries. Cut them up, brush with olive oil, season, and bake.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I don't do much else. Not too good for you with butter (occasionally I use butter) and/or sour cream.

But I stick w/ the healthier version, like you use.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Baking takes too long, so I just microwave them
  • chandra38
    chandra38 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Is there any way to slice them and bake them to make sweet potato fries, without all the yumminess of oil and such?

This is what I do with them. I use a tiny bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. Sooooo good, and good for you.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I peel them, cube them, toss them with some olive oil and some cayenne pepper and they roast them. So yummy!!!
  • Tencie0615
    Tencie0615 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I cut mine up use spray butter and slenda brown sugar on top and bake...
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    There's a great recipe in the cookbook Appetite for Reduction for Ginger mashed sweet potatoes and apples...the servings are pretty large and it comes in around 180 cals if I remember correctly.

**edit, I found the recipe online for ya: http://www.theppk.com/2011/12/hottie-black-eyed-peas-with-ginger-sweet-potatoes-apples/
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    My hubby carmelizes down some onions and mushrooms, then boils the sweet potatoes in chunks. He then puts the potatoes and mushroom/onion mix into a food processor and makes a puree with a little fat free cream. SO GOOD
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I just bake mine and add a pat of butter and salt.

The butter is about 40 cals extra, and a baked sweet potato is pretty darn good.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I just bake, brush with oil. I use Epicure seasonings and just purchased a product from them that is a quick dehydrator you can use in the microwave or oven to make sweet potato(or other stuff) "chips". I can't wait for it to come in!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    This may sound boring, but I've learned to enjoy plain sweet potatoes - I'll cook them in a way so that they're still moist and then will cut them up in bite-sized pieces. Sometimes I'll add a little salt, pepper or tiny bit of butter, but they naturally have an almost buttery taste all by themselves.

They're also good cut-up into small pieces and tossed in a stir fry or casserole or even soup.
  • jeriblackwell
    jeriblackwell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We peel and cut into fry size then bake at 400 for 15 minutes or so. Sometimes I'll sprinkle cinnamon on them, and sometimes eat with a bit of ketchup (hubby thinks that's wrong, but I like it.) Also, my little ones love sweet potato fries. Can't lose.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i just bake em or microwave em. love them as is.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options

This is what I do with them. I use a tiny bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. Sooooo good, and good for you.

Garlic powder is awesome to season!!! 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, sliced like thick potatoe chips. YUMMERS.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love mine roasted! Just peel them, cube them and use a tiny tiny bit of margarine with some salt pepper and garlic powder. DELICIOUS! Also sweet potato fries are the BEST, just a small amount of oil, you could probably get by with spray too.
  • srathfelder
    Options
    I like them baked/microwaved with just a tsp of light butter and a sprinkling of cayenne pepper. Mashed is good also.

Here is a sweet potato "fries' recipe: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-sweet-potato-wedges-10000000701068/
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Baked sweet potato fries. Cut them up, brush with olive oil, season, and bake.

This is how I prepare them. They are to die for!! Yum Yum Yum. I also Bake with skin on, brushed with olive oil.
  • lbigham1
    lbigham1 Posts: 132
    Options
    Here is a recipe with a little kick from allrecipes.com. They are REALLY good!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/oven-roasted-sweet-potato-fries/