Free Weights vs. Machines

Options
2»

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Squat rack....that's the thing that makes me stick my butt out, right? Hmmmm....I will have to think about that one. Not sure I am ready for that. Not sure that anyone else is ready for that either!

br608_1.png

This thing.

Can do shoulder press, squats, deadlifts (near it), bicep curls (why wouldn't you?) and various other exercises. It's basically a barbell that is laying around unused in many gyms

But don't do curls on it if people are actually waiting around to squat...
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    With free weights you work the main muscle group as well as the small, stabilizing muscles around every joint in use. Machines are self stabilized so you lose that very important benefit. Also machines have a set range and path of motion which may or may not fit with your body. With free weights, more specifically dumbbells, you work all the stabilizing muscles and work in your body's natural range and path of motion.

The only exception being the cable machines where it's basically a hand grip attached to a cable. Used properly those do a decent job of replicating the use of dumbbells.

^this. I personally prefer compound exercises with the barbell, but dumbells are a good start.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I avoid the machines whenever possible just because I prefer the free weights. The only machines I ever use are for leg extentions, curls, and press. Occasionally the glute kickback. Everything else I just tough out the crowd in the free weight section. I've started going early in the mornings so there usually aren't a bunch of people to work around.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options

But don't do curls on it if people are actually waiting around to squat...

True, luckily in my gym the squat racks and the incline/decline bench presses are never in demand =)
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Especially don't do curls with the 10 lb dumbbells :)
  • robinskv
    robinskv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! This has been very helpful!
  • LoveActually
    LoveActually Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I prefer free weights as well. And if there's space for me in the "man zone", I'm going in. Today I was curling more than one dude beside me and he noticed (as did I). Ha!
  • BigL0s
    BigL0s Posts: 133
    Options
    A combination of both, but mainly free weights.