Toning help

Options
Hey guys

I've been working my butt off with Jillian Michaels and have also had some Billy Blanks thrown in for good measure (all abs stuff!!) and have noticed that my stomach is getting muscle to it but UNDERNEATH my excess skin from pregnancy. Don't get me wrong, my tummy isn't really bad when I'm standing up but when leaning over, you can see the excess skin. It looks horrible!

I am not so worried about my weight, I've been trying to tone up more than anything but I am still on 1200kcal. I've heard from a few people that if I want to get muscle definition and tone up then I need to be eating more than 1200kcal and make sure I'm having protein and carbs, none of this fat stuff. Is this true? There's so much conflicting information ;(

Would really appreciate any help you can give on this please. Thanks a lot and good luck with your loss and training ;) x

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    No fat? I'm not sure where you would hear that information unless you were back in the early 90's. :wink:

If you want to build some muscle you will need to eat above 1200 cals, and lift as heavy as you can. You'll also need to eat a balanced diet of fat, carbs, and protein. Protein is very important for building muscle. Personally I like the 35/35/30 ratio, and I make sure to eat 1g of protein for every pound of lean body weight (which in my case is ~88lbs, usually I am somewhere between 90-100 grams of protein per day on average though). I've had very good success eating at this ratio, along with having a good lifting routine.
  • tanyakay87
    tanyakay87 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yep sorry meant bad fat stuff.

Thanks for that info!!
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    if you're not trying to lose fat, i recommend eating at your maintenance, maybe slightly above it, while lifting heavy.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    if you're not trying to lose fat, i recommend eating at your maintenance, maybe slightly above it, while lifting heavy.

this.

and you definiately need to be consuming fats.
    when I'm losing weight I'll cut my carbs back some and just focus on protein and good fats mainly.
  • tanyakay87
    tanyakay87 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!!!