L-Carnitine To Help Boost Weight loss!

Options
I was at the gym yesterday and was told by one of the girls in my spin class that she takes "L-Carnitine" which helps her give her more energy, and it has helped boost her weight loss. She does eat healthy and works out 3-4 times a week and said that after taking L-Carnitine, it has helped boost her weight loss a bit faster. Was wondering if ANYONE on here has tried taking L-Carnitine before and what were your results??

Replies

• chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym yesterday and was told by one of the girls in my spin class that she takes "L-Carnitine" which helps her give her more energy, and it has helped boost her weight loss. She does eat healthy and works out 3-4 times a week and said that after taking L-Carnitine, it has helped boost her weight loss a bit faster. Was wondering if ANYONE on here has tried taking L-Carnitine before and what were your results??

It won't make you magically use more calories than you are already burning via normal exercise.

It won't increase your body's ability tendancy to be anabolic versus catabolic.

It's a synthesized compound from two naturally occuring amino acids.

These are spoken of as benefits, but are ultimately unproven conjecture. Supplementing it may give you more energy (likely placebo based if you are really looking for it) but you are likely getting enough from your diet if you eat a variety of foods such as meats, eggs, avocado eytc. The above benefits of improving fat loss and muscle gain are an inherant function of this compound, as in it supports this already naturally occuring process.

I've taken it in the sense of multivitamins and some protein supplements, but not direct supplementation; it's just unnecessary.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    I started taking L-Carnitine today. Try to break my weight plateau, also because, I don't eat much meat. Will let you know the results.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Assuming sufficient high-quality proteins are being consumed in the first place, there should be more than enough of all of the amino acids present without any specific amino acid profile being required.

You can read more here:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/what-are-good-sources-of-protein-amino-acid-profile-part-3.html