Why CHOCOLATE milk?

Options
I always hear people say to drink a glass of chocolate milk if they don't have a recovery drink or protein shake. But why chocolate? Would regular milk do the same thing?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    For the additional carbs in the chocolate.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Because it sounds more provocative, thereby grabbing the reader's attention and ultimately generating more advertising dollars.
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    Has something to do with the benefits of the cocoa bean. I don't recall exactly what that is.
  • willismack2
    Options
    It replenishes fluid, and has carbs/protien at a 4:1 ratio which some reasearch has suggested is good for assimilation. It is inexpensive and some people like the taste.

http://oakbrooksc.com/docs/stager_chocmilk_study.pdf
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Carb to protein ratio. I am a track coach and we always recommend it to our runners,
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tired of taking advantage of all the vanilla cows.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    The sugar from the chocolate helps muscles recover better.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    When I do chocolate milk as a recovery drink I just use Hershey's chocolate...yeah, I know it's full of chemicals, but my understanding of the 4:1 ration is that 4 part carbs should be simple carbs because it will replenish the glycogen quicker.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing yesterday - I had normal skim milk and some chocolate protein powder. Not exactly chocolate milk, but kinda? Does it accomplish the same thing? No? I imagine a protein shake after strength training is also a good plan, lol.
  • Damndang
    Damndang Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It just has more sugar than regular milk. The sugar helps replace glycogen stores after your workout.