Sugar vs Agave

ejechols
ejechols Posts: 98 Member
One teaspoon agave (medium) = 60 calories
One teaspoon sugar = 15 calories

I don't have any dietary restrictions, so is there a benefit to using agave nectar?

Replies

• bmreed0920
    bmreed0920 Posts: 139 Member
    I use agave for the flavor. I also end up using less of it while baking or in my tea.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    most Agave is extremely high in fructose...and while claims are it has a lower glycemic index than sugar...google Fructose and belly fat and read on.....
  • punkypenny
    punkypenny Posts: 99 Member
    most Agave is extremely high in fructose...and while claims are it has a lower glycemic index than sugar...google Fructose and belly fat and read on.....

Aghhhh, There goes another thing I thought I was doing right! >:-$
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    It doesn't cause the insulin spike that sugar does. It's a lower glycemic sugar.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    The GOOD thing about agave is that it is sweeter than sugar, so using less of it has the same effect. The fructose part bothers me a little because high fructose diets are linked very closely with cancer, according to several studies I have read, so I try to avoid it without being overly fearful...
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    a lighter wallet
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    I am an ethically-motivated vegetarian who tries to avoid eating honey (all bets are off when I eat bread at restaurants). I use agave at home for one recipe: 'honey' mustard sauce. Other than that, I use pure stevia extract, pure maple syrup, and vegan granulated sugar when I want something sweet.
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    a lighter wallet
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    I've never looked into the calories especially since I don't think you can compare 1 tsp of sugar to 1 tsp of agave syrup.

I've used it to make chocolate milk and ended up with less calories than with the store bought chocolate milk. I know it's not a scientific comparison but I prefer the lower glycemic index than regular sugar.
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    a lighter wallet

Probably true if you use a lot of sugar but I've been using the same small bottle for quite some time now, so to me it's not much of a difference :)
  • Here's why agave nectar is a good option:

1 tsp of Agave Nectar = 15 calories
    1 tsp of Sugar = 15 calories

But, agave nectar is 1.4x sweeter than sugar, so your 1 tsp of agave is like using 1 1/2 tsp of sugar. You use less, and therefore save on precious calories.

Also, agave nectar is low glycemic, which means it doesn't give you the sugar high and crash, and it doesn't make you crave more sugar.

Use sparingly and it's a great way to get a sweet fix without blowing your goals.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Use sparingly and it's a great way to get a sweet fix without blowing your goals.

My theory is if a person uses enough sugar or sweetener in their life that they are looking for options with less calories or zero calores, the problem isn't in the sweetener. The problem is the person is just ingesting too much added sugar, period.
  • The truth is, fructose can cause you to gain weight if you consumer mass quantities of it. That's what no one seems to point out in the argument against fructose - it is a natural sugar found in nature, and if used in moderate amounts (as in under 100 grams per day per all of the studies), you can enjoy agave nectar without stress that you're going to gain weight. 100 grams is 1/3rd of my agave bottle at home. I use a few teaspoons a day, here and there, not even close to the recommended limit. Imagine downing a third of your bottle of agave syrup (or any sweetener for that matter), and then being shocked that you're gaining weight : ) Too funny.