Watching sugar intake?

Options
kar760
kar760 Posts: 4 Member
I am trying to watch my sugar intake and have been using this site to track my foods for the last few weeks. I "thought" I was eating healthy and watching the sugar but noticed that I drink Skim Milk, which contains 12g of sugar per every 8 oz. If I eat a half cup sweet potato, that is 22 g of sugar. I switched from regular yogurt to nonfat plain Greek yogurt, and it is 6g of sugar!!!!!

Any alternatives, or should I not really worry about this type of sugar and just worry about sugar from processed foods? (of which I have cut out).......

Replies

• scrambuglady
    scrambuglady Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ive been watching my sugar intake also. I cant believe the amount of sugar I take in now that I am watching it. Processed food sugar is way worse for you then sugar from lets say, fruit. That is a natural occuring sugar and not a white refined sugar. Stay away from sweets...have the yogurt in moderation and try not to eat alot of packaged snacks that are loaded with sugar.
  • scrambuglady
    scrambuglady Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    PS the sweet potatoes are really good for you. Add some cinnamon to them for a metabolisim boost
  • shannonkgr
    Options
    Is there any way that this app can track natural sugars vs processed sugars?
  • kar760
    Options
    I wish there was. Almost all of my sugar intake is from "natural" sugar, but processed. But the way the app is, it only tracks it as "sugar" and does not differentiate the two. Makes it "look" like I am eating a ton of bad sugar when in reality, I am not.
  • kar760
    Options
    Bump
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I don't get why natural sugar is a problem.
  • Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    low carb and diabetic people cant have sugar either. That includes most fruits, yogurt and milk and things like ketchup. There is sugar in alot of stuff that you wouldnt expect. The natural sugars spike your blood sugar levels just like any other sugar. Alternatives are, almond milk with low carbs/sugar. Half/Half or heavy whipping cream. Sugar free options of things because the use sugar alcohols which is neither sugar or alcohol.

Some fruits are lower in carbs and dont turn into as much sugar. Blackberryies, raspberries, ther is a list somewhere.
  • AlohaKeAkua
    AlohaKeAkua Posts: 92
    Options
    Sugar (natural or refined) should be watched for a few reasons (for some people). It also depends on who you are and what your body is able/not able to do with it. I have PCOS and sugar, even natural sugar isn't super great for me. My body doesn't break it down as easily and it causes a good spike in my blood sugar/insilin levels. It begins to store it as fat. However, I try to work out hard and I really love fruits, so I allow myself to eat more of it than MFP says... It's a way better option than chips and candy! Again, it's all about you as an individual. I would imagine that it reacts even more simply or more complex in other people. If it doesn't have any negative effects on you, eat away at what God put on the Earth!
  • Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I don't get why natural sugar is a problem.

From what I've read, natural sugar, like other sugars spike blood glucose levels and if not metabolized correctly turns into belly fat. :/
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Well, if you are watching sugar for a medical reason, then you'll want to watch all sugar-- natural or not. Otherwise, the American Heart association recommends watching added sugars (so you wouldn't be watching sugars from sweet potatoes or fruit, but you might need to for the yogurt)-- 6 teaspoons for women, 9 for me per day. If you want to cut back on sugar, you could munch more on vegetables instead of fruits so that you're still getting fiber and nutrients but cutting back sugar intake and switch to a no-sugar added type of milk. I know Silk has no sugar added soy/ almond/ coconut milks but I'd bet other brands do too.
  • sandviper888
    sandviper888 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    agreed with the previous posters...just cus its natural sugars doesnt mean its ok to gorge on it.
    i eat one fruit a day.
    im on a ketogenics diet so my sugar and carbs are usually 20-40mg's total and come from leafy greans, vegetables and fruits.
    i no longer eat refined carbs, sugars or processed foods.
    you will see once you start eating whole foods you will cut a lot of sugar...
    some say i may be crazy but 59 lbs lost so far and going strong im feeling so amazing all the time wth a lot of energy.
    all my meals consist of 4-6oz of protien with a salade/veggie and im always full.
    snacks are nuts and my one fruit a day and lots and lots of water....after reading the book Wheat Belly i no longer see carb and sugar filled foods the same!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I am trying to watch my sugar intake and have been using this site to track my foods for the last few weeks. I "thought" I was eating healthy and watching the sugar but noticed that I drink Skim Milk, which contains 12g of sugar per every 8 oz. If I eat a half cup sweet potato, that is 22 g of sugar. I switched from regular yogurt to nonfat plain Greek yogurt, and it is 6g of sugar!!!!!

Any alternatives, or should I not really worry about this type of sugar and just worry about sugar from processed foods? (of which I have cut out).......

I don't track natural sugars at all. I change my setting to track fiber instead.... which is important to me.