Loose skin

hasiangirl
hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
My mother-in law has lost over 125lbs and still has probably abother 25lbs to go....but now that she is losing weight she is kind of upset about the loose skin and I was wondering is surgery the only way to go in order to fix this problem?

Replies

• slimmingmom
    slimmingmom Posts: 297
    I wish I could help you, but I really don't know :( I hope someone else has the answer becuase I'd really like to know for when I lose all of my weight!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Age is a big factor here. That and whether she has yo-yo'ed a lot. People in their 40's and up have a harder time with the elasticity in their skin. Nutrition can help this (the RDA recommended allowances for your vitamins and minerals are VERY important to healthy skin) and making sure you take in enough good fats, fats help transport vitamins and also help keep the skin hydrated and build new cells in the body. All that said, the older you are, the less resilience your skin will have.

At some point though, the body just can't recover from the volume of fat lost. When this happens, the only way to fix it is to have surgery, sucks I know, but that's the reality of it.
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Age is a big factor here. That and whether she has yo-yo'ed a lot. People in their 40's and up have a harder time with the elasticity in their skin. Nutrition can help this (the RDA recommended allowances for your vitamins and minerals are VERY important to healthy skin) and making sure you take in enough good fats, fats help transport vitamins and also help keep the skin hydrated and build new cells in the body. All that said, the older you are, the less resilience your skin will have.

At some point though, the body just can't recover from the volume of fat lost. When this happens, the only way to fix it is to have surgery, sucks I know, but that's the reality of it.

tyvm for the help :)
This discussion has been closed.