Sodium intake and weight loss

Options
Whenever I have high sodium days, I always gain about 2 pounds of water weight that goes away in a day or two. My question is, during that time, is your body still burning fat if you keep your calories under goal? I showed a 2 pound gain this morning, but I know it's water weight from my sodium intake yesterday. However, I was still under calories and I will be under calories again today. Will my body still burn fat during this time of being bloated? I wouldn't think it would affect it, but I'm not sure. I'm drinking a ton of water today to flush it out. When the water weight goes away, is it possible to see more weight loss than just the 2 lbs. of water weight I put on overnight? I usually see a few ounces down each day, but I know when I have high sodium days that it will go up temporarily.

Replies

• SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I tested this on myself recently. I went 2 months taking less than 1000mg of sodium to see if it had any effect on my weight loss, blood pressure, and endurance. There was no noticeable change, so I went back to eating 2500+mg.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    And I'd think your body would burn more fat if you were bloated, since you weight a little bit more and it takes extra energy to carry that extra weight...that's my guess.