protein

Options
does protein in your diet help you lose wieght? Has anyone had luck with eating a protein full diet?

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Yes, protein is a must for a healthy lifestyle! Beyond that, getting sufficient protein can help you stay fuller for longer periods of time. It helps rebuild muscles after exercise, reducing soreness (in my personal experience). It's my opinion that MFP sets the protein goal far too low for the average person.

Unless you have an issue with digestion and elimination of excess protein (as in kidney issues) more is better! It can make the difference between an on-plan day and a massive sugar binge for me.
  • freebttfly
    Options
    I find protein helps my full-factor. Yeah, this type of diet works for me!!
  • three_lamps
    Options
    There's almost no downside to increasing your protein ratios, as long as you keep your calorie totals in check.
  • ElHombre23
    ElHombre23 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone above me...
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have reset my protein targets on MFP - for whatever reason I just need it
  • rrgrove
    rrgrove Posts: 73
    Options
    ive been wondering this myself because i have just started consuming a lot more protien due to how much ive been working out lately
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    You should atleast eat your lean weight in protein. Mine is around 106 lbs, so I eat around 150 protein/day.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Aim for 1-1.5 g of Protein per lb of LBM.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    the only thing that helps lose weight is eating under your maintenance calories. There's no juice, food, pill or exercise (such as working abs all the time) that will do the "trick". However if you're cutting fat and trying to maintain muscle protein in great amounts is very effective to help preserve current muscle tissue.
  • Lorlei25
    Lorlei25 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do better with a little more protein, stay full longer and feel less bloated than when I am leaning heavier on carbs. I reset my ratio in MFP to 30 percent protein because I was seeing that column red all of the time! I think that as I journey through I may have to switch those percentages again, should I began to plateau! Let us know how you do!
  • choirgirl1130
    choirgirl1130 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    go into your goals and adjusting your food ratios to 40% carb/30% protein/30% fat. protien while trying to lose weight is helpful to reduce sugar cravings and to build & maintain muscle mass. our brain and body does need carbs to function properly. they need to be healthy carbs- fruits, veggies, and whole grains. these carbs will provide the fiber you will need to keep your digestive track happy while you increase your protein. this approach will help you reach your goals and is sustainable for a lifetime. high protein, low carbs diets do work while you are on them BUT most people find that eating like that isn't easy to maintain...on top of the fact you are depriving your body the proper nutrition needed by totally excluding a major food group.
    change your life, not just your diet =)
    best wishes to you on your journey!