Help with Salmon

Options
devilwhiterose
devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
I bought salmon for the first time in my life. I got Wild Copper River Sockeye Salmon (it was on sale).

Do I "have" to marinade it overnight? I was planning on some salt/pepper and lemon, broiled in the oven.

I read alot of things that said you should marinade it overnight due to the wild fishy taste. Is it that bad?

Replies

• SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    The only time I marinade salmon is when I plan on smoking it. For baked salmon here's a good recipe from a good chef.
    http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/mustard-seed-crusted-salmon
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    no, you do not need to marinade it over night. Personally i would just marinade it for a couple hours.
  • DaringAdventure
    DaringAdventure Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I keep my salmon pretty simple because I like the flavor of the fish. If it smells like fish it probably isn't fresh. I have a stove top grill pan. I use sea salt, dill weed, lemon pepper and lemon jucie on the salmon. Heat the grill pan, spray with Pam and cook the skin side down first (if it has skin) about 3-4 minutes per side depending on the thickness. Don't cook it too long or it will be dry. Steam some asparagus and you have yourself an awesome clean meal! Enjoy!
  • StephC74
    StephC74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It does not need to be marinated over night - a few hours is fine. We are a commercial fishing family and catch salmon for a living. Our favorite way to eat salmon is to marinate it in Yoshida's gourmet sauce with a little bit of olive oil and then cook it on a grill. Low heat is better. Cook your salmon until it just changes from a translucent pink to opaque. The worst thing you can do is overcook fish so don't be afraid to check it often. Sockeye has a higher oil content so it does have more flavor than some other species of salmon. The fat on the salmon is kind of a grayish color and it can sometimes have a stronger flavor so if it seems too fishy then peel off the fat. If a fish does seem to be an older fillet you can soak it in milk overnight and that is supposed to help keep it from tasting too fishy.
  • jenniferpowell1980
    jenniferpowell1980 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It does not need to be marinated over night - a few hours is fine. We are a commercial fishing family and catch salmon for a living. Our favorite way to eat salmon is to marinate it in Yoshida's gourmet sauce with a little bit of olive oil and then cook it on a grill. Low heat is better. Cook your salmon until it just changes from a translucent pink to opaque. The worst thing you can do is overcook fish so don't be afraid to check it often. Sockeye has a higher oil content so it does have more flavor than some other species of salmon. The fat on the salmon is kind of a grayish color and it can sometimes have a stronger flavor so if it seems too fishy then peel off the fat. If a fish does seem to be an older fillet you can soak it in milk overnight and that is supposed to help keep it from tasting too fishy.

Ive always wondered what the grey stuff was!!! Thanks for that!
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options

Would you broil it or pan fry? I'm just afraid of messing it up. :laugh: My husband is a hardcore fish guy and I have never made it so I'm afraid of ruining a good piece of fish! I want to surprise him with a good dinner. :smile:
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options

Wow, great advice. ty!
  • StephC74
    StephC74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    We usually grill or bake. Sometimes when we bake we will wrap the fillet in tin foil to keep the heat in. In would think that pan frying would probably work well too but I'm not sure if the broiler would be a little too much heat. My husband is very picky about his fish so I usually make him do the cooking :)
  • kzooprincess
    kzooprincess Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have broiled salmon many times. Just be sure to keep a close eye on it. Maybe 5-7 minutes. I found a recipe years ago where you spread dijon mustard over the filet and sprinkle with bread crumbs. YUMMY!!