zumba

Options
I really want to try Zumba at the Y. It looks like fun when I have watched for a few minutes. I am kind of nervous of an injury. I am thinking knees or back. I have had lower back issues so I am concerned. Is there any jumping or anything high impact on the joints? Tthe current workouts I do are treadmill, bike. Elipitical and high energy water class and I have done little strength training. So basically I am wondering if this is something I should go for or leave alone. When it comes to a class I would have a hard time walking out in the middle of it and in a sense it is an appeal cause it pushes me to keep moving thru it.

Replies

• angie_sample
    Options
    A lot of trainers show you low-medium-high impact moves and you choose based on your needs. I would say try it and just have fun!! Seriously i love Zumba but i mess up a lot and the first couple of times i went i was like what the heck r they doing. I think Zumba would be a great thing to add to your fitness regiment :)
  • cheapmama
    Options
    I think the hardest part of Zumba and it's hardest on your feet. It's a lot of dancing really. But its great cardio and really not super high impact. You can adjust too.

The thing I like best is that no one is looking at you. They are all too busy watching the instructor. That was good for me because I just don't have much rhythm. :)
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You should definitely do it. You can modify the moves to your level. The point of any zumba class is to have fun. The plus is you lose weight while you're having fun. There's a very positive energy in any zumba class so you'll feel supported. My zumba instructors always say have fun and don't be too serious. You'll be fine. I had some issues with my left knee but no longer. With the help of zumba I've lost some weight and that's helped put less pressure on my previously bad knee. Go for it and stick with it! :laugh:
  • new2locs
    new2locs Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Zumba is what you make it. Some classes are really high impact with a lot of jumping but you can always modify the moves to fit you. Here's a tip for you also. Do not wear a cross training or running shoe to a zumba class, they are absolutely horrible on your knees, simply because the tread stops your movement. If you decide to try a class go with a shoe with little to no tread on the bottom.
  • rcbkedge
    rcbkedge Posts: 2
    Options
    I had always been intriqued with Zumba, so I finally tried it. I LOVED IT! I have NEVER been an exercise person, never liked aerobics or high impact anything, but there was something about Zumba that was fun and you just knew right away that it was doing something for your whole body. I don't like to sweat, but let me tell you, you will sweat in Zumba, but it didn't matter, because I enjoyed it sooo much. If you have a high impact instructor, you don't have to do everything they do. You can suit it to your body if you can't do that type of things. I think you should give it a shot! Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • TammyBee
    TammyBee Posts: 178
    Options
    You should have no problems. Everybody just kind of goes at their own pace and does their best. If i can do it anyone can! :smile:
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I would say its not really super high impact, but it definitely depends on the instructor. I just started taking class at my Y, and have had two different ones, which are very different, IMO. One is much more dance oriented (which I like), the other was much more cardio/fast steps/big jumps. Any move you can modify, or just not do as big, etc. I would talk to the instructor before class. most likely they'll say just do what you can and keep moving!
  • KLaurean
    KLaurean Posts: 112
    Options
    I take classes with two different instructors and they always say not to worry about messing up or having to slow down because no one is going to judge you.

My classes have anywhere from 9 year olds to 70 year olds and everyone just does what they can.
    It's truly an amazing thing and the calorie burn is well worth it no matter how hard you bring it.
  • pdemick1
    pdemick1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Zumba is great because you can just do what you can do. For example if the move is hoping or jumping you could just run in place(ie. not take you feet totally off the floor). I have lower back issues and am about 100lbs over weight but I do it. I am not going to tell you that you won't feel like you just did an awesome work out because you will, but it will be worth it when you see the results! In 3 months doing Zumba 1 to 2 times per week I lost 20 lbs along with watching what I eat by using MFP. Another bit of advice....... go with friends or make friends in the group it is a lot more fun that way and then you have people who are there to encourage you to keep going! :)
  • MrsT9217
    MrsT9217 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am a certified Zumba Instructor and I can tell you its a BLAST! Every class is different depending on the instructor but the class should focus on every part of your body. If there are things that you don't feel comfortable doing there you are able to do a variation that works for you -- that is what is go great about Zumba. I would recommend focusing on the feet your first class and you will be great!! Its such a quick workout because you're having so much fun! You won't want to get back on the treadmill ;)

Good luck!
  • pdemick1
    pdemick1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I take classes with two different instructors and they always say not to worry about messing up or having to slow down because no one is going to judge you.

My classes have anywhere from 9 year olds to 70 year olds and everyone just does what they can.
    It's truly an amazing thing and the calorie burn is well worth it no matter how hard you bring it.

Yes what she said! :)
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    try it you make it as intense as you need it or can handle. Its a great exercize and lots of fun!! I love it and its a HUGE calorie burn for me
  • skinnieminniemouse
    Options
    My Zumba instructor shows us the move but he says adapt it however you wish, we have some old ladies at ours, so I think you would be perfectly fine :)
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I tell my class...

There is a modification for EVERYTHING. :smile:
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said. There are ways to modify everything. There is a little jumping, but you don't have to jump if you don't want to. Mostly stepping! I tend to injure my knees pretty easily, but I have had NO problems with Zumba. I tried Couch to 5K and managed to injure my meniscus in my knee. It healed without surgery, thank God, but I decided to not do something like that again.

You can try and avoid a knee twist injury by investing in Jazz or dance shoes. Something light with a soft-ish sole. I wear a light shoe with duct tape on the bottom. It lets me slide without being slippery, you know? Thing is, I'm SO ACTIVE during Zumba that I have to replace the duct tape every other work out. I'm so cheap!

Have fun!!
  • MegSommer
    MegSommer Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, it is as hard or as easy as you make it. Also, there is Aqua Zumba....maybe see if that is available and you can get the best of both words. :o)
  • sherri33s
    sherri33s Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I love zumba. Where I take it, she tells us if you cant do some of the moves yet just move.
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I personally would be more worried if you had lower back issues, say in your sacrum. There is A LOT of hip work which may cause you issues. I hurt my back last year and my chiropractor adviced me to to stay away from Zumba (and running) as it is a lot of work on my hips and I needed to strengthen my core first. I can still feel a bit of tightening in my lower back when I do Zumba now, a year after my injury.

Other than that it is GREAT fun even if you get it wrong. (as I do all the time!).
  • mari6923
    mari6923 Posts: 21
    Options
    : i love zumba! i say try it, you will have a blast! :smile: :smile
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I wanted to thank everyone for the advice and encouragement to try Zumba. I decided to move past my comfort zone and try it this evening. I really enjoyed it and broke a sweat within the first five minutes or so. I thought I knew the instructor but wasn't sure until the end. It was kind of funny that this girl told me "this one" is crazy. I guess I picked the night to go when the instructor really goes the extra step to wriggle her butt. Haha. I did have fun and did feel at times I couldn't keep up but it was cool. Turns out I did know the instructor. She has put on Zumbathons at the church I work part time babysitting for to raise money. It's a small world. I might turn Zumba into part of my regular routine or depending how I feel tomorrow maybe not. :) Anyone know how to estimate the calorie burn? I don't have a heart monitor and can't afford one. Thanks again.