So you think you're too tired to workout?

Options
We’ve all been there…we get ready to work out and just don’t know where we’re going to find the energy. For me, today was one of those days. But I’m glad to say some motivation was provided when I needed it the most. As I sat in the locker room in my workout gear, ready to go, trying to get motivated when I noticed an elderly gentleman (late 70s I’d guess), still wet from his swim, walking back from the pool…with his cane. I said to myself, “You think you’re too tired to work out? That guy’s got a cane and he’s knockin’ it out. ” That was all the motivation I needed. I’m happy to say it carried me through 4 miles (35 min) on the treadmill. So the next time I try to make excuses, I’m going to think of that guy who gave me the boost and the jumpstart to get me going. Thank you sir!

Replies

• runmybunsoff
    runmybunsoff Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Aw. This made me smile! Thanks for posting, and good for you!! :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    A cane does not equal tired, but I get what you're saying.
  • tlmichelson
    tlmichelson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this - much needed motivation as I am yawning this afternoon after an early morning workout!
  • augstrac
    augstrac Posts: 14
    Options
    Very motivating! I needed that right about now.
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of when my finace and I last climbed Mt Lassen, on our way up a man in his 60's at least passed us joggin up the mountain! Then he passed us a while later going down while we were still going up! Talk about getting burned haha!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    After 12.5 hours of work I think I'm entitled to say I'm too tired to workout and I think 'excuses' isn't what can be used to describe my exhaustion at that point...

and yet after 12.5 hours of work, when my body is bone tired, I still get my *kitten* up and go for a walk. Every night. Not easy. Not fun... but I do it.

Having said that, I totally understand people who need a break now and then, just so long as the break isn't every day!
  • JonesJennings
    JonesJennings Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Good stuff. The times when it's difficult are the times when you're winning.
  • jenniferpowell1980
    jenniferpowell1980 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Ive now come to realise that i feel tired if i HAVENT exercised and ive ate crap. I find that once i start walking and munching them apples my energy comes back 10 times. So now when im feeling to tired to do something i go for a little stroll to bring back the energy and burn off whatever crap i must have ate to make me tired. (Obviously this is not counting the 'end of day' tiredness, then i just go to bed!)

As for the man with the cane, hope thats me when im 70!!!
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    When I am really tired (not just feeling lazy) I will not workout because I know it will be half-assed

Thats why I try to workout as early as possible lol
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    Thanks for posting!!! It just goes to show the benefits of consistent exercise :) AND...proud of you and your 4 miles...way to get it done :)
  • dadeys1
    dadeys1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Well said and well done. Keep it up!
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    LOVED reading this!!!! I'll keep that in mind tom. when I get home from work and don't feel like planting my butt on my bike!!!! :)
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    thats a really great way to think about it :]
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    NICE :-)
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Inspirational ;)

@jenniferpowel - word for word - absolutely
  • clairegogogo
    Options
    Awe I want to meet this inspiring sweet old gentleman!
  • bradphil
    bradphil Posts: 2
    Options
    I had a similar experience seeing a man with a prosthetic leg....I said to myself "are you really complaining about something that man wishes he could do everyday?"