Absolutely confused...

Options
I have read posts on here where women eat 1200-1400 calories a day and lose weight and get to their "goal weight" by eating back their exercise calories....

Then I read that you have to eat above your BMR and if you exercise to "net" your BMR

Then some say not to eat back the exercise calories at all!!! I'm going crazy trying to figure this out!!

I have been on this freaking mountain for 15 months now trying to lose these last 5-10lbs. I have bumped my calories up to like around 1800 without eating any back. I have set it to the middle of my BMR and tried to net my BMR I have dropped it to 1200 calories and eating back the calories from exercise. I need to know what works!

I do Insanity 6 days a week. I'm in month 2 week 2 and I still haven't lost anything with it!!?!?! WTF!

Replies

• jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary, I may be able to help. Not all calories are created equal. I struggled for years until I realized what foods work and don't work for me.
  • Nikkilynn32710
    Nikkilynn32710 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary, I may be able to help. Not all calories are created equal. I struggled for years until I realized what foods work and don't work for me.

Thank you so much!! Ok its open.
  • twinsies041
    Options
    bump!
  • Nikkilynn32710
    Options
    BUMP!
  • Nikkilynn32710
    Options
    Lame attempt at another bump :/
  • mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Ok I looked at the last few days of your diary and:

1) stop eating crap.

That's about it!!! Cut anything processed OUT! That oughta do it. No one gets skinny eating chocolate bars everyday. Hope that helps!!!

Also, you may want to monitor your sodium - try to keep it between 1,000 and 2,500 mg/day (you can't do that while eating processed food, btw).
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You truly have to take all the opinions you find here, do your OWN research and choose what works best for you and your body. Once you do that and commit to a plan you will find something that works and you will lose weight. And relax. Stress wont do your weight loss any good :happy:
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options

1) stop eating crap.

That's about it!!! Cut anything processed OUT! That oughta do it. No one gets skinny eating chocolate bars everyday. Hope that helps!!!

Also, you may want to monitor your sodium - try to keep it between 1,000 and 2,500 mg/day (you can't do that while eating processed food, btw).

ever heard of the twinkie diet ??? a calorie is a calorie..... no getting around that, it may not be "good for you" but it does not matter where your calories come from when you are talking weight loss.....
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    MFP is set up so you get a calorie goal that already has a deficit built in for fat loss, so that if exercise.. that deficit gets even bigger (i.e. too big) which is why they say to eat back exercise calories.

If you choose to eat at your TDEE (maintenance) minus a 15 or 20% deficit say, then you don't need to eat those exercise calories unless you burn so much that you would net below your BMR that day.

Some will say it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you eat at a deficit, but I think our bodies respond better with healthier foods, not to mention you get to eat a lot more when you eat healthier foods.

Using me for example, my BMR is 1,321 and my TDEE for moderately active is 2,047. I set a 20% deficit as my calorie goal, or 1,638 calories. Even if I go up to 1,740, I'm still at a 15% deficit and will lose fat. I only eat some exercise calories if I'm in danger of netting below my BMR on days I burn more calories.

Feel free to look at my diary or need help calculating any numbers.
  • jemachharo
    Options

ever heard of the twinkie diet ??? a calorie is a calorie..... no getting around that, it may not be "good for you" but it does not matter where your calories come from when you are talking weight loss.....
  • jemachharo
    Options
    you are wrong about a calorie is a calorie. I believed that for a long time, but I have found that all calories are not created equal for some people. I can't eat starches/sugars. Give me equal calorie counts of healthier food ( protein, fruit, and veggies) and of starchy processed food - I will gain on the processed foods.

It took me 50 years to finally figure out what works for my body - I have to eat fresh veggies, fruit, lean proteins, and whole grains to avoid gaining weight. No exceptions.
  • TrishOJ
    TrishOJ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jemarchharo, all calories are not equal. I also viewed your diary and you should try to consume more protein and fiber, try a more natural diet and you may lose those last few pounds.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'm in no position to hand out advice to you but I can recommend a wonderful group I think you'd benefit greatly from. These women are amazing and their advice is worth its weight in gold. I hope this helps. Best of luck to you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

1) stop eating crap.

doesn't seem to be working for the original poster, though, does it?
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I set my carbs/protein/fat to 40/30/30 %. I felt that I needed to lower the carbs and bump the good fats and lean protein. I also monitor my sodium. My husband was eating great but not losing. We looked closer at his sodium and he was getting 3-4 times the recommended amount. Once he dropped the extra salt he started losing again.
  • jemachharo
    Options
    Finally had a chance to look at your diary. I don't see the daily menus of someone trying to lose weight. I would recommend cutting out candy and fries and heavily processed foods for a while. You don't have to give them up forever, but once you cut them out, you likely miss them. Focus on fresh food for a while - eat 7 servings of fresh veggies; 2-3 servings of fruit, and lean proteins like chicken, fish, turkey, filet mignon. Stick with whole grains if you want starches - whole grain bread, brown rice, farrow, bulgar, etc. Once you eat like this for a while, you may find you start craving healthier foods.

Also, I don't remember if you said what type of exercise you do. I recommend alternating cardio intervals with strength training. You don't want to do the same thing every time.

Hang in there - you can do this!
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    if you're doing insanity you're probably gaining muscle which is why your weight isn't budging... you're probably just losing inches.

But yeah, I haven't looked at your diary so if you're eating fried crap and drinking soda then stop.
  • Nikkilynn32710
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies on this. No I don't drink soda but I'm sure its the sugar that I consume. That has always been my issue. Especially this month when TOM was a week early. I can generally get my cravings under control but she surprised me by showing up early and threw everything off. I'll do better and try to be more focused especially on the processed stuff.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    if you're doing insanity you're probably gaining muscle which is why your weight isn't budging... you're probably just losing inches.

But yeah, I haven't looked at your diary so if you're eating fried crap and drinking soda then stop.

no, not gaining muscle. You don't gain muscle in a calorie deficit. you lose muscle and fat. By exercising, you limit the amount of muscle lost but you still lose muscle tissue. You must be in a calorie excess in order to add muscle. Yuo add both muscle and fat but if you are working out, hopefully, you add more muscle than fat. That's why body builders do bulk and cut cycles.