that is bad poor thing. ;(
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Poor kitty :(
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    BeautifulScarsWECHANGED Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Yes, Meow has passed away. I live in Santa Fe and have been following this story. I think he would be alive right now if they weren't flying him all over the country for interviews. I think the added stress took poor Meow over the edge. :sad:
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Yep, saw it on the news. He died. His owner should be shot.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    Poor bub :(

He must have been really sad and not very clean.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Imagine the marbling in the meat, though. :love:
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    BeautifulScarsWECHANGED Posts: 749 Member
    Options

Well, considering the owner was a 87 year old woman who surrendered Meow to the shelter here because she couldn't take care of him anymore...I don't think shooting her is the answer. She obviously didn't know how to take care of a cat. She was feeding him a main diet of hotdogs. :frown:
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Isn't the Owner dead already?
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Oh how horrible!! Poor sweet boy :((
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    That makes me sad, regardless of whether or not he is alive. We have two cats, and we would never let them get that big!!!!!!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Omg crap like this makes me cry. Why don't people learn more about animals before adopting them as pets? I mean as soon as my vet told me one of my female cats was a little heavy, (like 2-3lbs) I started giving them all a more strict feeding schedule 1/2 cup of food twice a day and a few times a week they get a little wet food as a treat. She's not lost any weight, but hasn't gained any either. I have to give my oldest male more canned food because one of his back molars was removed and he needs to gain a bit of weight. Take care of your pets, they deserve it just as much as any other living creature!

I really loathe anyone who PURPOSEFULLY overfeeds a cat or any other animal just because they want a fat pet too. Pets are for companionship and to give love, not some toy for your entertainment!

Edited to add: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfJAJfp2WhI

Just something to think about when buying food for your kitties, for those of you who do own cats. The LEAST you can do is buy your cats a brand of food that lists MEAT as the first ingredient, not a grain / vegetable / filler and give them some canned wet food or tuna on a frequent basis.
  • theladyy
    theladyy Posts: 176
    Options
    Yes, Meow has passed away. I live in Santa Fe and have been following this story. I think he would be alive right now if they weren't flying him all over the country for interviews. I think the added stress took poor Meow over the edge. :sad:

Not to mention the stress of leaving his home, being with strangers and being put on a diet.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options

Well, considering the owner was a 87 year old woman who surrendered Meow to the shelter here because she couldn't take care of him anymore...I don't think shooting her is the answer. She obviously didn't know how to take care of a cat. She was feeding him a main diet of hotdogs. :frown:

I had an elderly relative who fed her dog only chicken and rice. The dog not only wasn't getting proper nutrition and got overweight, he'd never tasted any other food so when her son and his wife took the dog after she had to be put in a nursing home, it took them forever to get him to actually eat dog food and get his weight down. The damage had been done though because he'll still refuse food and he has health problems from the years of eating that.

Some people, especially the elderly, want to baby and spoil their pets and think it's alright to feed them people food but the reality is it can hurt them, but the people don't know what they're doing is wrong.

I had a cat that was overweight because my dad fed him people food, and in excess. Even after he left my dad's care you had to watch him because he was so used to that food he would steal it off your plate or fight you for it. Luckily we got him to slim down enough and he lived to a ripe old age.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Poor kitty. I used to be a vet tech. Obese cats develop some pretty painful conditions and suffer quite a bit. I'm not judging people, but I really don't understand how a cat gets that big. They self-regulate their eating generally. I could understand with a dog because they just wolf down food whenever it is in front of them, but I guess dogs are generally more active.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    needs some muscle building tae bo
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My cat would be another "Meow" if I let her. She was a shelter kitty, and had been outside for weeks and weeks before brought to the shelter. I was new to cats, so my cat-lover friends told me to "free feed" her. I had one of those vacation feed things that releases food as needed. Well, within a month or so, she was overweight! She apparently had the "as long as food is available, I should stock up" mentality. I stopped free-feeding her, got the info from the vet on how much she needs. She meows like crazy whenever her bowl is empty, but she's a healthy weight now.

Too bad Meow's owner didn't do the same.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Poor kitty. I used to be a vet tech. Obese cats develop some pretty painful conditions and suffer quite a bit. I'm not judging people, but I really don't understand how a cat gets that big. They self-regulate their eating generally. I could understand with a dog because they just wolf down food whenever it is in front of them, but I guess dogs are generally more active.

My dog NEVER overeats, and I free-feed her. She's svelte and healthy. It's my cat who will eat and eat till she explodes. I call her "my little goldfish". I no longer free-feed her for that reason.
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I work at a shelter and this isn't all too uncommon for the elderly (and others, I'm sure) to not be able to provide sufficient exercise/diet for their animals; Granted this case was an extreme one, it happens on a lesser scale quite often.

Luckily all the animals I've cared for in this situation were surrendered before things got out of control, but it's still very sad to see.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Nice how Guinness had to stop keeping records to discourage overfeeding. duh!