New motivation

Options
I now have a new reason to get my sorry butt in gear and lose the extra weight I have been carying around all these years. I found out yesterday my aunt has breast cancer. I have already had one great aunt die of this horrible disease my mother is a cervical cancer survivor and my biological dad is dying of cancer. This just really opened my eyes to the things I need to do to lower my risk. I know that losing the weight will not prevent it but I know it will lower my chance of getting this horrible disease. The ironic part is the family just did the Susan G Komen walk for the cure last saturday for my great aunt and now next year I we will be doing it for two aunts.

Replies

• leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Cancer is an ugly thing, sorry it has affected your family. My Dad passed last year from lung cancer, my brother still smokes, can you believe that!? Good for you for working on reducing your risks. :flowerforyou:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear about your news, but I completely understand the motivation. I have lost a few people to cancer in my life and I am a survivor. I am going to get through my 1/2 marathon first but I was thinking of running a marathon and raising money for the ACS some how too.
  • msilmon
    msilmon Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm very sorry for what you are going through. I just recently lost my aunt to breast cancer. It is a terrible disease and no one should ever have to watch their loved ones go through that. I wish you much success in your weight loss. I will be praying for you!!:smile:
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear about your news, but I completely understand the motivation. I have lost a few people to cancer in my life and I am a survivor. I am going to get through my 1/2 marathon first but I was thinking of running a marathon and raising money for the ACS some how too.

I am getting ready to do my second Relay for Life event. I feel so good that I have raised over $500 for the ACS. The first Relay I did, the event raised over $30,000. It's not a running event but you walk throughout the night. And of course you can run if you want. It is a really good event, you should check it out!
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    cancer and diabetes should be excellent reasons to motivate ourselves...

cindy:heart:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

I am getting ready to do my second Relay for Life event. I feel so good that I have raised over $500 for the ACS. The first Relay I did, the event raised over $30,000. It's not a running event but you walk throughout the night. And of course you can run if you want. It is a really good event, you should check it out!

I have done them in the past and they are great events. One year I walked for 18 of the 24hours. The next I was a team captain and had a larger team so I didn't walk as much. They are great energy and a wonderful cause.
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    I think if I can find one in my area I will do one. I have always wanted to try the relay for life.