Would you consider this a binge?

Options

Replies

• katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    510 calories?? nope.

To a person with anorexia that could be a major binge. If I have a snack over 300 cal I hate myself for it.
  • Abigaillee15
    Options
    I would not consider this a binge. Binge eating is classified when there are frequent episodes of eating an abnormally large amount of food. I think what you did was just overeat. That happens to everyone. Here are characteristics that set binge eating aside from just plain overeating:

-Frequent episodes of eating what others would consider an abnormally large amount of food
    -Frequent feelings of being unable to control what or how much is being eaten
    -Eating much more rapidly than usual
    -Eating until uncomfortably full
    -Eating large amounts of food, even when not physically hungry
    -Eating alone out of embarrassment at the quantity of food being eaten
    -Feelings of disgust, depression, or guilt after overeating
    -Fluctuations in weight
    -Feelings of low self-esteem
    -Loss of sexual desire
    -Frequent dieting

Everyone overeats every once in a while, and that is perfectly normal. Maybe your body was just craving extra nutrition after your workout. Binge eating however, is triggered by emotions such as depression, boredom, or anxiety.

Don't beat yourself up :)
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Binging is about a lack of control, not how many calories are consumed.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I just went into some kind of mode where I couldn't tell my body to stop eating because it was full

I would consider it a binge just because you had this out-of-control feeling. However, it doesn't sound too bad. Don't beat yourself up over it.

I have to agree, the out of control feeling would make me consider this a binge...the amount of food you ate, I wouldn't really consider a binge.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Nah, not unless you were emotional for some reason. You worked out with a trainer so you were probably just starved and maybe your brain tried to tell you to eat back some calories you lost.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    510 calories?? nope.

To a person with anorexia that could be a major binge. If I have a snack over 300 cal I hate myself for it.

i stick by what i said.

NOPE.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Behaviorally I would. Nutritionally I wouldn't.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Um no. This says to me that you aren't eating enough in the first place. Do some research on TDEE.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    You were just hungry from working out. It fits fine in your calories so it is not really a binge.
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Binge eating is a pattern of disordered eating which consists of episodes of uncontrollable eating, I see a Nutritionist and she said it not the amount of food that is considered a binge, because one person may eat alot but it wont be the same for another person who eat 2000 or more calories a day..... She said its the control you have over yourself and your eating that is considered a binge..... I didnt know this until she told me i was a binge eater, i was like no way i dont eat a whole box of cookies or whatever... she said once again, its not the amount of food, its the control you have.... so if you are eating just because and not hungry.... SHE says its considered a Binge........ Not saying i agree with her lol but just giving what she told me..
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Binge, not really. Except for the choice of 'Two 100 calorie pack of pringles' Maybe next time choose an apple or something better than pringles. It will fuel you better and longer.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it a binge, sounds more like a refueling since you had just finished a hard workout. The Pringles were the only unhealthy thing you mentioned.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    510 calories?? nope.

Well when you throw an illness into the mix, of course it could be different.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    It may or may not be a "binge" because thats pretty personal and only you know what constitutes a binge for you. that being said, maybe you just needed food. I just looked at your food diary and you needed to eat. Your blood sugar was probably low and your body was calling out for carbs. Don't worry about this one meal, just try to focus on nutrition and plan your meals accordingly. Also you dont have your macros set to calculate fat, and you really should. Fat keeps you satisfied and keeps your blood sugar stable, helping prevent binge eating :) definitely don't worry about this though.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I dont think the food or the calorie amount was bad, but the fact that you felt you couldn't control it and ate until your stomach hurt and that you obviously feel bad enough about it to ask others.....yes I would say you had a moment. Dust off and keep going.
  • SCVSarah
    SCVSarah Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call that a binge. I understand that out of control feeling, but you stopped yourself after about 500 calories and you probably worked off more than that right before you ate. Don't stress. You'll feel fine in a couple hours.
  • VirginiaWoof
    Options
    i binged on 20 000 calories at a time when I was at my worst. I definitely wouldn't call that a binge...
  • vallemic
    vallemic Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    At 5'6'', 110 lbs you are considered underweight. So, no, it's not a binge! You're starving!
  • pmad37
    pmad37 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    sounds like pms to me :) Salty + sweet = pms in my world
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    No. Depending on how many calories you burned in the workout, I might call it "insufficient refueling".

However, one warning - hunger and thirst are easy to confuse, especially after a hard workout. If you haven't been guzzling water during your workout, drink a good amount of water immediately afterward. If you HAVE been guzzling water during, drink a modest amount after. Do this before you have any food.

Eat a small amount of food (a banana is my favorite, the sugars pick you up quickly, the potassium starts the body building muscle from your workout, etc). Then drink a little more water, slowly. See how full you feel. Eat another small amount of food. Drink another small amount of water. Take your time refueling and rehydrating. And be prepared to eat up to the number of calories you just burned, especially if you're running a weight-loss deficit. By "be prepared", I mean "have enough healthy food on hand" so you don't hit the vending machine and get empty useless nothings like Pringles.