Trying to build muscle - can someone check my diary please

Options
2»

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I want to build muscle too. I just followed the NROL4W, somoene posted it, but basically I am eating at TDEE and I add 200 cals on lifting days. That is still way over what MFP gave me for maintenance, so it seems like a lot, but I wonder, maybe it is not enough?

You're not gaining muscle if you're weight. If the scale isn't moving up, add more food.

P.S. I sound like I'm smart but most of the info I pass on I read somewhere else. I think that ^ came from Lyle McDonald.
    I meant to say I follow the calorie-guidelines from NROL4W.
    But, if I can only expect to gain a pound of muscle each month, how much fat do you think I should count on? I mean, the scale has been within a couple pounds of 112 for awhile. I am at 114 but that could change in a couple of days... Do you think I should be seeing more changes on the scale? I am surprised that I am still hungry at night, maybe I will eat more. Just eating the right things is hard.

Some one told me at least 0.3lbs of muscle per pound of fat. I gained 10lbs total in 4 months. I like to give myself an extra pound for "newbie gains" and good genetics and say I gained 5lbs of muscle, 2 lbs of fat, and 3lbs water and glycogen. Again, I was told to start at 10% above TDEE every day, not just lifting days. So if your TDEE is 1800, I'd add that 200 every day and see where you are. I'd want to gain about pound every 2 to 3 weeks. If you are, add another 100 a day until you are. I started at 2600 net (my TDEE is about 2300). I gained 3lbs right away then nothing for 4 weeks, it was then that I upped it to 2800 net (I did do cardio, but ate those calories, so that's how I got to around 3000).
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Where is the most accurate source to determine your TDEE?
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    bump to the bump bump for laterzzzzz
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bump for later too....Sounds very interesting & that is what I am trying to do....Gain muscle but lose fat at the same time.
  • autumnk921
    Options
    Where is the most accurate source to determine your TDEE?

I use this one -

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • autumnk921
    Options
    My pc is messing up & duplicating my messages.. :(
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have a few questions....:happy: ....
    I have been eating at maintenance, 1800 cal's, for a couple months now which is several 100 cal's more than mfp tells me my maintenance is...anyway...my questions are, my TDEE is around 2030 according to several websites, so I know what that is.
    But since eating 1800 I haven't lost or gained and I started weight training back at the end of February. So wouldn't I just add a couple 100 calories to my maintenance because if I add 200 to my TDEE that would put me at 430 MORE than I'm eating now!! Isn't that an awful lot!! Ok, excuse the "!!!!", it's just the idea of eating that much makes me dizzy!:noway:
    But like I said, I've been eating 1800 (maintenance) since starting to lift (almost 2 months) and haven't gained anything, so I know that I need to increase my calories, I'm just so confused and scared as to how many....
    Oh and lastly, if I eat all these extra cal's, are they net? As in, do I eat my exercise calories back?? Sorry, I'm just trying to do this right.

Ugh...any help would be great! :smile:
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Petrie, I think your TDEE is maintenance, it is supposed to include the exercise factor. But if you want to gain muscle you would have to eat over TDEE. I think your experiment suggests 1800 cals IS maintenance for you.
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Petrie, I think your TDEE is maintenance, it is supposed to include the exercise factor. But if you want to gain muscle you would have to eat over TDEE. I think your experiment suggests 1800 cals IS maintenance for you.

Agree with the bold, not necessarily the second part. As you're looking to build lean mass which will increase your BMR and TDEE, I would eat at the recommended level rather than what 'seems' to be your maintenance.

Use http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/510980-my-gift-excel-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-cut-build-and-ma to work out how much you should be eating. You'll need to head back to the original topic :)
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options

Agree with the bold, not necessarily the second part. As you're looking to build lean mass which will increase your BMR and TDEE, I would eat at the recommended level rather than what 'seems' to be your maintenance.

Use http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/510980-my-gift-excel-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-cut-build-and-ma to work out how much you should be eating. You'll need to head back to the original topic :)
    Thanks for that spreadsheet, very slick. It says I should be eating 1930 for building muscle. So would that be what I should eat everyday? or would do a little more on workout days, a little less on rest days?
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    I'm with the others. You need to eat a surplus (not a deficit) and you need much more protein.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    PROTEIN!!!! If you're vegetarian or vegan you have to watch your protein and up it when you're trying to build muscle.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I agree with earlier posters, increased consumption, particularly of the protien variety.
  • aspen_matthews
    Options
    Are you getting Bod Pod tested, too? That can help you to keep an eye on your body composition as you're working through this.

Increased protein is good but 1 gram per pound is entirely too much. Your body can only use so much protein at a time, even with heavy lifting, and excessive protein puts a lot of stress on your kidneys. You are getting more than enough right now, you definitely don't need more.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    As others have said, up the calories. And as a vegetarian if you are seriously trying to add muscle you may need to get a good protein shake to drink as well. I have to drink a shake twice a day to get to what Macro % I want for my 2800 calories. Also, a thing you may have to do is get over the whole eating pure and natural all the time thing. I am like that as well, but it is extremely hard to do when eating on a surplus diet.
  • nikki2609
    nikki2609 Posts: 128
    Options
    bump