Movies and Books That Have Helped You Lose Weight

Options
Personally I have found the more I know about food, the easier it is for me to eat well and stay away from "bad" foods. A few of my favorites:

Books:
Food Rules: Michael Pollan
In Defense of Food: Michael Pollan

Movies:
Killer at Large (This is absolutely compelling about the obesity epidemic)
Forks Over Knives
Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.

What have you seen or read that compelled you to become healthier?

Replies

• Heidbummer
    Heidbummer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I so want to see Forks over Knives, but it doesn't seem to be out in the UK.

Have you seen the "Food Inc" movie? Its primarily Michael Pollan again, so probably nothing you won't know if you haven't read his 2 books, but I hadn't and I found it fascinating.

Guessing you aren't in the UK but we have a Radio 4 programme called "The Food Programme" and although you have to be UK based to watch BBC tv on the internet, our BBC radio appears to be our gift to the world. And a fine gift it is too! It regularly has thought provoking programmes and you can get the last 5 here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qnx3

The last programme was about American beer and how good the micro brewing scene is. The programme before that was about fermentation (and how modern bread processes mean we don't ferment yeast as much - and maybe we should). Prior to that Biscuits - or probably cookies to you. And the reason they are far crumblier now than they used to be. Its because we've got rid of the hydrogenated oils.

Anyway, keep an eye on them, because although some are rubbish, loads are really good. And let me know what you think.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Every time I watch a Rocky movie I want to run a marathon and get in a fight lol