SUGAR

Options
so my daily sugar recommendation is 30g. does this include natural sugars, coming from fruits and dairy and such, or is it just added sugar? because 30g seems so...low. i mean, just by having an orange and oatmeal with honey and raisins i exceeded this amount at breakfast! and i always exceed it. i don't know if it's possible to eat a total, natural and added, of 30g of sugar a day.
ideas? thanks, all!

211071.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    yeah it is really low... but most people don't even realize it. Starting out I wouldn't worry about it too much if its natural sugar because a piece of fruit is gonna be better than a piece of cake... but at least pay attention to it.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    mine is about 40 g per day, I usually get close but I don't go over normally, and it's mostly sugar. Ok sometimes I'll crack and have some chocolate, but other than those days I'm usually under. While fruit sugar is better for you then sucrose (table sugar), it's still not technically "good" for you, except under certain conditions. Fruit sugar, for multiple reasons, takes a lot longer to metabolize then table sugar, which is good, it means no blood sugar spikes, no highs and lows, and this is a good thing.

Is it possible to stay under? Sure, most veggies are pretty low in sugar, also there are plenty of fruits that are relatively low in sugar. Off the top of my head, melons, berries, some apples are all low in sugar for fruit.

All that said, being over by 5 or 6 grams a day isn't going to hurt, but if you're consistantly over by 20 or 30, then you may have some problems from it with excess fat storage and insulin resistance problems later in life.
  • BABYLILAC
    BABYLILAC Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Please help a newbie I cannot find the total gramms of sugar I require a day,I can only see calories,carbs,protein and fat.Do I have to adjust my settings?Thanks all
  • mxhelili
    mxhelili Posts: 33
    Options
    Babylilac: When in the "food" tab, go to "settings", and on "nutrients tracked" you can choose two other additional things to track other than carbs, fat and protein. good luck!

SHBoss1673: Unfortunately, i DO find myself going over my sugar intake by 15 or 20, even doubling it at times! i never exceed my calories or my overall carbs, but i do consume a lot of sugar, i suppose. i even "cut down", because i used to consume more sugar, but i think i don't know what "low" means when it comes to sugar intake. if 30g per day is a realistic expectation, then i have some serious diet changes to make. thanks!
  • BABYLILAC
    BABYLILAC Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Babylilac: When in the "food" tab, go to "settings", and on "nutrients tracked" you can choose two other additional things to track other than carbs, fat and protein. good luck!

SHBoss1673: Unfortunately, i DO find myself going over my sugar intake by 15 or 20, even doubling it at times! i never exceed my calories or my overall carbs, but i do consume a lot of sugar, i suppose. i even "cut down", because i used to consume more sugar, but i think i don't know what "low" means when it comes to sugar intake. if 30g per day is a realistic expectation, then i have some serious diet changes to make. thanks!

Thank you vey much SHBoss1673, I got it now.I started cutting back on sugar a week ago and have been limiting to 20gramms a day. My daily recomendation is 24gramms so I am right on track.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

I know, it can be hard sometimes to get it rite! Just do the best you can, look at the foods you are eating, find out what their grams of sugar are, and try to find good replacements for them, for instance, you can try replacing bananas with strawberries, honey with a few bluberries (even blueberry puree), and maybe swap out one or two of your whole fruit snacks with something like pea pods or carrots. I eat tons of pea pods and carrots every day, it helps keep you full, lots of fiber, and pretty low on the sugars.
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    So goin on that, Is milk sugar bad? I know its not the same as say candy or sweets, but I'm really wokring on cutting down a LOT of sugar and I'm wondering if this 'counts'.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    So goin on that, Is milk sugar bad? I know its not the same as say candy or sweets, but I'm really wokring on cutting down a LOT of sugar and I'm wondering if this 'counts'.

Bad? Not sure I would call it bad, but it's still sugar, lactose (milk sugar) is glucose + galactose, and while it doesn't metabolize as fast as sucrose (table sugar), it is faster than fruit.