Stupid people with GED'S

Options
So a friend of mine on facebook who I have know for almost my entire life posted this today,
"So I hear that dumb *kitten* Beyonce' is getting GED. LMAO." I kept in her bad English on purpose.

A few people commented with comments like dumb ***** and stupid ho and I posted " I have a GED."

She then posted "Not sayin it like that and Im not discouraging anyone that has one Im just sayin for her to need one is crazy and not surprising because of all the dumb things she says."

Then I said "I would never put anyone down for wanting to improve themselves in some way. If she wants to get a GED than more power to her and it's good to see that even a rich successful person still sees the value of getting an education."

I really took offense to the comment because most people who have GED's are not unintelligent they just had issues in their lives that kept them from finishing high school in a traditional way. I personally had many family issues and was homeless two separate times. My friend is a very negative person and the only reason I remain in contact with her at all is because I have known her for a very long time but I am so upset about the comment that I want to delete her from my friends. Am I overreacting?

Also this has nothing to do with the fact that the comments were made about Beyonce it's the fact that I feel like she's insulting people like me who have a GED.

Replies

• panthernight
    Options
    No one should bash another for trying to better themselves. Whether it's a 35 year old learning to read for the first time or an obese 70 year old trying to lose weight, bettering oneself in anyway should always be encouraged.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Some people take their GED when there like 15, 16 and 17 so they can go directly onto college, normally their home schooled,
  • 1Timothy4v8
    Options
    And also don't feel to bad for her cause she has so much money should could buy their homes and use it for her closet lol
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I can see how that would upset you and I would confront her. I would confront her on it in person or phone. not on Facebook.

Personally, I slowly back out on negative people in my life. I dont like negative people and cant tolerate them in my life.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    People have things that they use to feel good about themselves, maybe your friend just needs to feel intellectually superior. I could see seeing someone beautiful, famous, rich, etc. and trying to bring them down a notch. It's a way of maintaining mental equilibrium.

That being said, it's still not nice.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    Options
    I can see how that would upset you and I would confront her. I would confront her on it in person or phone. not on Facebook.

Personally, I slowly back out on negative people in my life. I dont like negative people and cant tolerate them in my life.

yea thats the only thing you can do, is seperate your self from the like cause chances are they won't change and life is to short to get upset all the time
  • mtpalacios
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with anyone get their GED there are a lot of famous people that dropped out of high school.
  • ChubbyStudent25
    Options

Same here I have removed most of the negative people from my life and only have people in my life who are positive and I try to be as positive as I can be and work on that constantly. I feel like even seeing her wall post make me feel drained. I think maybe we have just grown in two very separate directions and the friendship just isn't working anymore. It's just hard to cut her out of my life because I have known her since I was about 4.
  • kaylaCdewire1311
    Options
    My mother got her GED the same year that I graduated High School. I am PROUD of my mother. She was very sick as a teenager, and couldn't physically handle it, so she dropped out. Not EVERYONE drops out "just because". Your friend, should probably not be your friend anymore
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I got my GED and Associate's degree simultaneously at the age of 18 due to being a homeschooled kid.
    I am now 26 and will receive my Master's degree in 4 weeks.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Personally I cannot stand Beyonce...but that is besides the point. Good for her for finishing her education!

I also only have my GED for almost the same reasons that you do.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    $5 says that friend of yours would fail the GED exam.
  • momo2011Tuck
    momo2011Tuck Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I get very offended to when people say that about GED's. I have a GED but I also have a college degree! I have a cousin who thinks shes the greatest thing because she had a baby ay 16 and finished highschool and didnt get a GED. Yet she at 19 has already dropped out of college and is having her 2nd child. So where she gets off saying anything bad about my choice to get a GED I have no idea.
  • NicoleElen
    NicoleElen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    F her. I have a GED and I'm freaking awesome. I am sure her life is just perfect. You should stand up for yourself or delete the negativity from your wall.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Homeschooled but still got my GED once I moved out on my own.... also had family issues, etc that kept me from doing it any other way.
  • jrsey86
    jrsey86 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If Beyonce was a "dumb *kitten*," then she wouldn't be where she is today.

The simple fact that you pass a standardized test doesn't make you intelligent. Just let her be ignorant. I would ask her if she has achieved anything comparable to Beyonce's success with her high school diploma. Chances are that she hasn't. :tongue:
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Wasn't Destiny's Child formed when Beyonce was still in school? I'm willing to bet becoming a rich and famous pop singer is what stopped her from finishing her high school education. It has no bearing at all on her intelligence. More power to her for recognising the importance of education, even being as successful as she is now.

I don't know what I'd do if I were you. On the one hand, it's tempting to delete someone that ignorant so fast it would make their head spin. On the other hand, it's important to try and show compassion. I often find that people who constantly make negative comments about others are doing it to make themselves feel better and that ends up making me feel sorry for them really. I also understand why you'd feel uncomfortable phasing out someone you've known for a long time. It's a difficult one, but ultimately you need to do what's best for you. If you feel like her constant negativity is impacting badly on you, she might be more trouble than she's worth.
  • momo2011Tuck
    momo2011Tuck Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    $5 says that friend of yours would fail the GED exam.

^^ Love this! lol
  • cherriewilliams
    cherriewilliams Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a GED. My daughter got hers when she was 16 because she was bored with high school. Now she's 18 and she's already been to hair school and is taking business classes in college while her classmates are still in high school.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Regardless of whether this specific status was offensive or not, I vote to get her out of your life based only on the fact that you said she is negative by nature (and clearly immature and critical). Who needs someone like that holding them back in life??

Also, I cannot believe there is anyone in the world who is so quick to call any stranger "a dumb b*tch" and a "stupid ho". That makes me sick.