Running C25K problems :(

Options
Warning: I tend to ramble and this might be long so thanks for reading.

So I have been doing the c25k program. I started on week 4 because I could already run about 5-7 min. I reached the day where you run for 20 min straight and I didnt think I could but I did :) very proud. Now this was on a tredmill. I dont have regular access to a gym but just happened to that day. I was so happy.

.Then I ended up going out of town and other life events- chose to lift instead of run whatever, about 1.5 weeks off from running. Then the next run was two 10 min runs with about 3 min walking inbetween. I couldn't compleate them. This was running OUTside. I told myself that I was probally just having an off day. Went to a track the next day and tried for the 23 min run and I could only run for about 15 min and I was dying. tried to compleate the 2 10 min runs again ( OUTside) and couldnt.

I ve been feeling pretty sucky and its making me not want to run. I dont know if Im just not pushing myself enough or does outdoor running vs indoor running make a difference. It seems like if im inside running around the house or on a tredmill I can go much longer than outside. Should I stick to only running outdoors and start back at an early week? I have my first 5k in June and I really want to be able to run the entire thing.

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill is much easier than running on the actual ground. It has something to do with actually propelling yourself forward when you run on the ground/outside as opposed to the treadmill kind of pushing you along. (Or something lol) That's why I decided to do the whole program outdoors. I would say go back to week 4 or a week that you think you'll feel comfortable. It takes some getting used to when switching from treadmill to outside.
  • misskariw
    misskariw Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I wish I could offer you some kind of advice. I can't. I was suppossed to start with day 1 this morning, but I was nauseous from eating pork last night! I couldn't believe the adverse reaction my body had to unhealthy food. Oh, well. I'll try to start after work tonight or maybe tomorrow morning.
  • luvsherhubby
    luvsherhubby Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I figured that had to be it but was letting my mind play games I need to get serious june isnt that far away! :noway: thanks again!
  • spinitoff
    spinitoff Posts: 33
    Options
    Running outside is completely different and much harder: uneven terrain, harder surface, inclines/declines, wind, air resistance, variable temperatures, allergens in the air, dodging people, variable stride tempo, and so on.

It's a totally different jam; I think it's a lot more enjoyable once you're conditioned for it, but it's totally normal for you to feel it much more challenging to run outside if you've been using a treadmill. Take it slow and easy during your transition to outdoor running.
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    Running on a treadmill is much easier than running on the actual ground. It has something to do with actually propelling yourself forward when you run on the ground/outside as opposed to the treadmill kind of pushing you along. (Or something lol) That's why I decided to do the whole program outdoors. I would say go back to week 4 or a week that you think you'll feel comfortable. It takes some getting used to when switching from treadmill to outside.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this

because you're not pushing yourself forward on a treadmill, the ground is moving beneath you, so when your foot hits the treadmill belt the belt moves your leg backwards for you requiring little effort compared to running outside where your muscles have to do the work to move your forward

so treadmill running is not the same as running outside.

I'm also on week 4 again after completing c25k and running a 5k last October, but the long winter of no running means I can't run like I use to be able to. But I'm running outside so I'll be good in a few weeks.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill is much easier than running outside. The moving belt on the treadmill helps a great deal when you run, whereas outside you don't have that benefit. Can I ask what incline you use on the treadmill, if any? A lot of people think a 0% incline simulates flat land, but it's actually slightly downhill. I personally set mine to 6% as I live in a hilly area. Potholes and inclines in the ground are things a treadmill just can't effectively replicate. If I were you, I would go a bit slower than you normally do on the treadmill until you feel comfortable speeding up. Make sure you have good control over your breathing and if you feel yourself losing it, take deeper breaths out than you do in. That's a little trick my boyfriend taught me and it really does help!

Even though it might take some getting used to, I really recommend running outside. I've actually packed in the treadmill altogether and will probably only use it for dire weather emergencies. Not only do you keep cooler running outdoors, but it's so much more fun to take in your surroundings than stare straight ahead in a room. Plus, if you ever plan on entering a race, you'll find having outdoor running experience really beneficial.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I've always been an outside runner. as I tend to get bored on a treadmill. When I do get access to a treadmill (which is like once in a blue moon), I find that I can run a lot faster. However I rather run at my 'endurance' pace outdoors anytime.

Sounds like you need to repeat a week, and do some more outdoor training.

Good luck.
  • kimdrobison
    Options
    Running outside is harder physically than running on a treadmill. If you are struggling with the runs that you are doing now, I would recommend slowing your pace so you can complete the running sections that you want to, or you can go back to a week 4 and start from there again. Good luck. Keep going. Remember, even if you need more walking breaks, it doesn't make you a failure, and it burns more calories than not going! ;)
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    I reached the day where you run for 20 min straight and I didnt think I could but I did :) very proud. Now this was on a tredmill. I dont have regular access to a gym but just happened to that day. I was so happy.

.Then I ended up going out of town and other life events- chose to lift instead of run whatever, about 1.5 weeks off from running. Then the next run was two 10 min runs with about 3 min walking inbetween. I couldn't compleate them. This was running OUTside. I told myself that I was probally just having an off day. Went to a track the next day and tried for the 23 min run and I could only run for about 15 min and I was dying. tried to compleate the 2 10 min runs again ( OUTside) and couldnt.

you took 1.5 weeks off, no wonder you couldn't run two 10 minute runs with a 3 min walk inbetween, and then you tried for a LONGER 23 minute run?

c25k is very particular, you have to keep up with it, otherwise you have to go back a week or two.

Had you went outside two days after your 20 minute treadmill run you probably could have done the two 10min with 3 min walk, but you can't take 10 days off and expect to be in the same condition, not when you're working up to running a 5k.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    how fast are you running? that could also be a big reason it was hard....it's really easy to pace yourself on a treadmill, where you keep running that fast or you fall off...sometimes when you run outside it's harder to keep a good pace that'll see you through to the end of whatever time your run is. I had a bit of the same issues though..i started c25k completely on a treadmill, up until the 20 min run in week 5...that was actually the first time I ran outside, and I was shocked I could do it....however it was SUPER slow! When I got to the next 10 min/3/10 min run interval it was SO hard! I did finish it but it took SO much out of me...i think part of it was just the thrill of doing something for the first time, then the 'oh i should be able to do the 10 mins' thinking that kind of winded me. since then though, I'm pretty much finished c25k, and can now run for 3.1 miles, though it takes me a LONg time (50 mins, go ahead and laugh lol!), but the point is I can run that long...so maybe try slowing up a little bit? Also, if where you're running outside isn't flat (i live in michigan, so it's pretty flat for me lol) that also makes it a ton harder than the treadmill
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I would say if you have massive problems let me know via messaging me.

However I didn't follow C25K, I did it my own way which worked, hard but worked.

23m you should be close to running a 5km then, 23m is around 3.5-4km correct?

Anyway, if your almost there, I would suggest adding a track work out once a week say a yasso 800, Or better for you I guess a 400m would be better.

Essentially, it is more for marathons etc but basically you work on fact say you want time of 25m for 5km, that is roughly equivalent of 4:04:09 marathon time possible.

So your yasso would be 4:04/km for 800m, or in your case say 400m, then rest a few min, then run another maybe 3-4 yasso, and build to 8-10 each session. Your speed will increase greatly, and your cruising speed will be increased and feel a lot easier.

However not being familiar with C25K, I am not sure how to relate or give a good sort of program for it, but def track work is needed, a long slow session and some intervals.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    You might be running faster outside than you were on the treadmill, so you tire sooner.

I've been running since December 2010, have many races under my belt, including a 10k that I ran the whole distance, and even a couple medals, but sometimes... I just really need to walk a little. It's ok. You're still getting a great workout.

I ran five miles today, and it was insanely windy. I stopped to walk a bit after 15 minutes, and again after about 30 minutes, and a few more times before I got home. Don't care. Still burned about 500 calories!

The way I look at it... I'm never going to be a really, really fast runner. I'm not a professional athlete. I'm just doing this to burn calories, improve my health and relieve stress. I'm still doing all of those things even if I walk a few minutes here and there. But if I beat myself up because I walked the last 20 yards up a steep hill, then I'm adding stress, not relieving it.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I agree with Lorina. I completed the program, and ran a 5K...then I got kinda obsessed with improving my time.. long story short, this week I just ran 3 miles. No time constraints, etc. I'm a 5mph gal, and that's ok!!! When I wasn't OCD about my time, I actually ENJOYED my run, which I haven't done in over a week. I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't overthink, or over do it. Enjoy!
  • luvsherhubby
    Options
    I reached the day where you run for 20 min straight and I didnt think I could but I did :) very proud. Now this was on a tredmill. I dont have regular access to a gym but just happened to that day. I was so happy.

you took 1.5 weeks off, no wonder you couldn't run two 10 minute runs with a 3 min walk inbetween, and then you tried for a LONGER 23 minute run?

c25k is very particular, you have to keep up with it, otherwise you have to go back a week or two.

Had you went outside two days after your 20 minute treadmill run you probably could have done the two 10min with 3 min walk, but you can't take 10 days off and expect to be in the same condition, not when you're working up to running a 5k.

I think your right, the time off combined with the outdoor runing vs tredmill really set me back. I think im going to start back on week 5 and only run outside. thanks for your advice.
  • luvsherhubby
    Options
    You might be running faster outside than you were on the treadmill, so you tire sooner.

I've been running since December 2010, have many races under my belt, including a 10k that I ran the whole distance, and even a couple medals, but sometimes... I just really need to walk a little. It's ok. You're still getting a great workout.

I ran five miles today, and it was insanely windy. I stopped to walk a bit after 15 minutes, and again after about 30 minutes, and a few more times before I got home. Don't care. Still burned about 500 calories!

The way I look at it... I'm never going to be a really, really fast runner. I'm not a professional athlete. I'm just doing this to burn calories, improve my health and relieve stress. I'm still doing all of those things even if I walk a few minutes here and there. But if I beat myself up because I walked the last 20 yards up a steep hill, then I'm adding stress, not relieving it.

lol yes i need to relax as well. im a little ocd so when i cant reach that time mark it really bums me out and then I quit. it is very stressful, and when i first started running purley to burn calories i ENJOYED it *gasp* expecially outdoors, but with the pressure of meeting a goal it can be kinda stressful. thanks for your advice!! I need to take it one step at a time. :)
  • luvsherhubby
    Options
    thanks all for your advice it was much needed :))