Snacks - "Full" feeling longer

Options
I pack my breakfast/snacks/lunch for work everyday but towards the end of the day I feel starving!! So when I get home from work, I tend to snack on whatever is in sight til I can make dinner. Anyone have any ideas of what to pack so toward the end of the day I am not starving?? :smile: Thanks :smile: (Below is what I had today, I work 7:30 - 5:30 Monday - Thursday & 8:00 - 12:00 Friday, so its mainly Monday - Thursday I am starving toward the end of the day LOL) I also drink PLENTY of water throughout the day like 3 liters!

7:30 - Get to work

8:30 - Eat breakfast
Egg White - Hardboiled, 2 egg white
Bigelow - Green Tea With Mint, 8 oz

10:30 - Mid-morning snack
Whole Foods 365 - Cranberry & Nut Trail Mix, 1/3 Cup

12:00 - Lunch
Harvestland - Fresh Ground Turkey - Lean, 6 oz.
Fresh Iceberg Lettuce - Leaf, 2 medium leaf
Sargento Reduced Sodium Pepper Jack , 1 slice
Roma - Tomato, 2 slices
Avacado Slice, 2 - 3 slices
Onion Slice, 1 slice
Golden Delicious Apple Medium, 1 apple
Whole Foods - Fresh Ground Almond Butter, 28 g

3:00 - Mid-afternoon snack
Driscoll's - Blackberries, Fresh, 0.5 cup
Strawberries - Raw, 4 small
Melons - Cantaloupe, 1 cup chunks
Watermelon Chunks, 1 cup chunks

5:30 - Head home

6:20ish - Get home & snack til dinner time :frown:

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Replies

• Tvandevoir27
    Options
    I do the SAME THING on days that I'm not prepared with good snacks. Sometimes I try and eat something like some carrots or a pice of fruit or string cheese either right before I leave work or even on my drive home. Then, when I get home I'm not running on empty and I feel like I just had a snack, so I can hold off until dinner. Low cal crackers like wheat thins or something is good too. Or nuts. Apples and PB.
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Add protein to your afternoon snack, it will help. Alternatively, pack a hometime snack. Planning for the later snack will control undesirable calories. Try peanut butter and apple like you had for lunch, cottage cheese, egg, slices or delivery meat, hummus, etc
  • Stardiva37
    Stardiva37 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    also try almonds they help alot
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    your afternoon snack might be spiking your blood sugar.... add some protein to balance it out.
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Maybe move your PM snack a little later or have a snack in your car, or planned (ready) when you get home that is healthy.

I always advocate for raw almonds for a snack. Even just a few of them will hold you over til dinner.

ETA: Ditto those who said add some protein to that afternoon snack. That fruit is great for you, but doesn't have staying power. Maybe add in a low-fat string cheese?
  • shortie555
    shortie555 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    hmm lets see- almonds and carrots, almond butter and soy crisps/any cracker, eggs, yogurt and high fiber cereal, dark chocolate (70% or more-- tends to be filling), popcorn and string cheese, edamame, hummus and veggies or hummus and whole wheat pita. hope this helps!
  • missaugustusgloop
    Options
    My favorite super-sustaining snack is Kashi GoLean Crunch cereal. I pack one serving dry (one cup has 190 calories, 9 grams protein, 8 grams fiber, 3 grams fat) in a ziploc bag and keep it in the car for my return commute so I'm not insane with hunger when I get home. I also eat the same for breakfast, and I don't get hunger/growly tummy for at least three to four hours. I've tried a ton of other healthy snacks, and they don't seem as filling for the amount of calories. :)
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would swap snacks.
    Have the mid morning snack in the afternoon as it contains protein and fat, and have the fruit mid morning instead. Either that, or have half the fruit and half the trail mix for each snack. And add some cottage cheese.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Greek Yogurt? It's filling and packed full of protein and delicious! I usually have that as my late afternoon snack because it holds me over until dinner.
  • nellatink
    Options
    Protein bar or shake?
  • kmgarza
    kmgarza Posts: 31
    Options
    your afternoon snack might be spiking your blood sugar.... add some protein to balance it out.

I love fresh fruit :heart: I could eat it all day every day for the rest of my life & I would die a happy lady LOL But I need to cut back a bit since it does have a bit of sugar :frown:
  • kmgarza
    Options
    Have you tried Greek Yogurt? It's filling and packed full of protein and delicious! I usually have that as my late afternoon snack because it holds me over until dinner.

I add plain Greek Yogurt to my Jay Robb Whey Protein shakes after workout but I guess I could toss a container in my lunch bag too. Thanks for the tip :smile:
  • kmgarza
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips & ideas :happy: Today I packed a drive home snack & more protein (hardboil egg whites) to eat with my snacks for mid-morning & mid-day :tongue:
  • BeebsAbs
    BeebsAbs Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i prefer something like an apple and almonds with a protein bar
    or peanut butter on oatcakes
    or try a cup of green tea,